LEOPARD IN THE COLD - OS2

This is a discussion on LEOPARD IN THE COLD - OS2 ; Arcticle in "The Age", October 30th, Melbourne, Australia "LEPARD IN THE COLD" Screams of pain are echoing over the Internet as Apple's new Leopard update to its OSX operating system, launched last Friday, has not gone smoothly. Reports quickly emerged ...

  1. LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    Arcticle in "The Age", October 30th, Melbourne, Australia

    "LEPARD IN THE COLD"
    Screams of pain are echoing over
    the Internet as Apple's new
    Leopard update to its OSX
    operating system, launched last
    Friday, has not gone smoothly.
    Reports quickly emerged of Macs
    "blue-screening", or freezing,
    during the upgrade process, due
    to software incompatibility. One of
    the main culprits was Unsanity's
    Application Enhancer (APE).
    However, other APE-less
    upgraders also found themselves
    stuck with the infamous spinning
    beach ball icon rather than a funky
    new desktop. Wrote one
    disgruntled user: "I have a
    Powerbook which will not boot and
    shuts itself off within a minute or
    so of trying. (It) is now a
    paperweight."

    Hmm, "blue screen of death", I suppose
    that comes from Microsoft owning 25% of
    the company.

    Cheers,

    Tom [Tom Perrett]

  2. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 03:31:42 UTC, "Tom Perrett" wrote:

    -> Arcticle in "The Age", October 30th, Melbourne, Australia
    ->
[...]

    I have the Leopard Family pack here for 3 days now and so far I've
    held off on installing it because of these problems. Hopefully Apple
    figures all this out soon.

    As to m$ft, AFAIK they never owned any percentage of the company, they
    just gave Apple a cash infusion in exchange for non-voting stock
    collateral a little over a decade ago, which Apple has since paid
    back. That was when m$ft was under serious investigation for their
    ongoing predatory monopoly behavior and they wanted to show how really
    nice they were with direct competitors.

    Interesting at about the same time Apple abandoned Taligent (the
    partnership with IBM and Motorola for the WorkplaceOS project among
    other things) and Pink (Which was supposed to be the Mac personality
    running on WPOS), and cancelled the OS/2 version of QuickTime because
    of their cashflow problems, but had to pay IBM because they didn't
    deliver a final version of QT for OS/2 as per their contract. Guess
    that cash from m$ft helped a lot there. You can get the final/escaped
    beta of QT for OS/2 on hobbes -
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/.../quicktime.zip
    Works pretty damn well for beta, just really out-of-date now (its
    from 12/96). Apple unfortunately, for reasons unknown, couldn't
    release it as a GA and support it back then when it was current.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.warpstock.eu

  3. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    In article
    madodelNOSPAM@ptd.net "Mark Dodel" writes:

    > On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 03:31:42 UTC, "Tom Perrett" wrote:
    >
    > > Arcticle in "The Age", October 30th, Melbourne, Australia
    > >
    > > "LEPARD IN THE COLD"
    > > [...]

    > I have the Leopard Family pack here for 3 days now and so far I've
    > held off on installing it because of these problems. Hopefully Apple
    > figures all this out soon.

    That's pretty much my feeling. Over the years, OS-X has proved
    to be a reasonably good OS, if not as ergonomically sensible as
    OS/2 of various favours. The maunderings of "me-too" trolls do
    not take any of that away from it.

    In the OS-X NG which I frequent, opinion seems to be "okay thus
    far, though some of the bugs are annoying, but the next version
    should be along soon". Apple have a very slick on-line upgrade
    mechanism, which mostly runs by clicking an entry in a dropdown
    menu, followed by yes/no responses and a reboot (or two). OS/2
    users planning to mix Intel-Mac and Parallels (new version just
    released, apparently) to run Warp or eCS can expect it to work.

    NB: I am not pretending to be a doctor nor are any shoving meds
    into me, nor am I pretending to be a supercoolMacdude. I'm me.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  4. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    On Nov 3, 6:12 am, "Mark Dodel" wrote:
    > On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 03:31:42 UTC, "Tom Perrett" wrote:
    >
    > -> Arcticle in "The Age", October 30th, Melbourne, Australia
    > ->
    > -> "LEPARD IN THE COLD"
    > -> Screams of pain are echoing over
    > -> the Internet as Apple's new
    > -> Leopard update to its OSX
    > -> operating system, launched last
    > -> Friday, has not gone smoothly.
    > -> Reports quickly emerged of Macs
    > -> "blue-screening", or freezing,
    > -> during the upgrade process, due
    > -> to software incompatibility. One of
    > -> the main culprits was Unsanity's
    > -> Application Enhancer (APE).
    > -> However, other APE-less
    > -> upgraders also found themselves
    > -> stuck with the infamous spinning
    > -> beach ball icon rather than a funky
    > -> new desktop. Wrote one
    > -> disgruntled user: "I have a
    > -> Powerbook which will not boot and
    > -> shuts itself off within a minute or
    > -> so of trying. (It) is now a
    > -> paperweight."
    > ->
    > -> Hmm, "blue screen of death", I suppose
    > -> that comes from Microsoft owning 25% of
    > -> the company.
    > ->
    >
    > I have the Leopard Family pack here for 3 days now and so far I've
    > held off on installing it because of these problems. Hopefully Apple
    > figures all this out soon.

    I'm surprised an "in the know" person such as yourself wouldn't keep
    up on why that blue screen of death happens. Its because of the
    errant third party "Application Enhancer" aka "haxie" so many Tiger
    users added to their systems and failed to remove before installing
    Leopard. Haxies are hacks (hence the name), not authorized by Apple
    and can bring the system to a complete halt. Much akin to turning
    iPhones into bricks because the user installed a hacked version of
    software that wasn't meant to run on the iPhone. ("It's my damn
    iPhone and I'll do what I want with it" and then scream like a banshee
    and blame Apple when they break it themselves.) The answer for those
    with the Leopard install problem is to simply restart the machine in
    safe mode and remove the haxie then complete the 20 minute install
    process. (My God, if you were stupid enough to hack your own system
    with a known problematic and unauthorized piece of software then you
    should be entirely capable of knowing how to remove it.)

    12-year olds are funny. They want to do things "their way" and when
    "their way" f*cks up their toy they blame the toy maker instead of
    themselves. I too have the family pack and have installed it on all
    my Mac machines. Each install went smoothly, took about 20-30 minutes
    (30 for the MacBooks) and runs like the dream Apple promised me.

    BTW, Apple sold over 2 million copies of Leopard in the first two days
    of release and the reviews of its performance and enhancements have
    been stellar from all tech institutions and critics who are *not*
    beholding to M$. Even CNet had to admit publicly in their review of
    Leopard that it was far and beyond what Microsoft is offering with
    Vista.

    > As to m$ft, AFAIK they never owned any percentage of the company, they
    > just gave Apple a cash infusion in exchange for non-voting stock
    > collateral a little over a decade ago, which Apple has since paid
    > back. That was when m$ft was under serious investigation for their
    > ongoing predatory monopoly behavior and they wanted to show how really
    > nice they were with direct competitors.

    You have to admire Jobs for bringing Apple back to the amazing success
    it is today. I'm now beta testing MS' Office for the Mac 2008 and the
    fact that there is such a product is a result of that cash infusion
    (which has paid off handsomely to M$). Is it needed? Not really but
    many who switch from Windows find comfort in knowing they can run
    Office on the Mac. It even runs better on the Mac then it does in
    Windows and you have to attribute that to Apple engineering, not
    Microsoft.

    > Interesting at about the same time Apple abandoned Taligent (the
    > partnership with IBM and Motorola for the WorkplaceOS project among
    > other things) and Pink (Which was supposed to be the Mac personality
    > running on WPOS), and cancelled the OS/2 version of QuickTime because
    > of their cashflow problems, but had to pay IBM because they didn't
    > deliver a final version of QT for OS/2 as per their contract. Guess
    > that cash from m$ft helped a lot there.

    If your baby's life is on the line you would sell the house to save
    him/her and Jobs did the right thing.

    > You can get the final/escaped
    > beta of QT for OS/2 on hobbes -http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/video/players/quicktime.zip
    > Works pretty damn well for beta, just really out-of-date now (its
    > from 12/96). Apple unfortunately, for reasons unknown, couldn't
    > release it as a GA and support it back then when it was current.

    And the quality of that product is an testament to the hard work and
    quality Apple puts in all of their products. IBM buried OS/2 and
    Apple really had no reason to take it to GA at that point.

    Back up your OSX system with SuperDuper if you are holding off on the
    install of Leopard out of irrational fear. Then install Leopard. You
    won't need that backup.

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy

  5. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

> [...]

    > that cash from m$ft helped a lot there.

    If your baby's life is on the line you would sell the house to save
    him/her and Jobs did the right thing.

    > You can get the final/escaped
    > beta of QT for OS/2 on hobbes -http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/video/players/quicktime.zip
    > Works pretty damn well for beta, just really out-of-date now (its
    > from 12/96). Apple unfortunately, for reasons unknown, couldn't
    > release it as a GA and support it back then when it was current.

    And the quality of that product is an testament to the hard work and
    quality Apple puts in all of their products. IBM buried OS/2 and
    Apple really had no reason to take it to GA at that point.

    Back up your OSX system with SuperDuper if you are holding off on the
    install of Leopard out of irrational fear. Then install Leopard. You

  6. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    On Nov 3, 7:42 am, a...@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) wrote:
    > In article
    > madodelNOS...@ptd.net "Mark Dodel" writes:
    >
    > > On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 03:31:42 UTC, "Tom Perrett" wrote:

    > > > Arcticle in "The Age", October 30th, Melbourne, Australia

    > > > "LEPARD IN THE COLD"
    > > > [...]

    > > I have the Leopard Family pack here for 3 days now and so far I've
    > > held off on installing it because of these problems. Hopefully Apple
    > > figures all this out soon.

    > That's pretty much my feeling. Over the years, OS-X has proved
    > to be a reasonably good OS, if not as ergonomically sensible as
    > OS/2 of various favours. The maunderings of "me-too" trolls do
    > not take any of that away from it.

    As with all religions you're going to find your zealots and Apple
    certainly has them in droves because of MS but OS/2 had them too and
    we all know how good OS/2 was.

    > In the OS-X NG which I frequent, opinion seems to be "okay thus
    > far, though some of the bugs are annoying, but the next version
    > should be along soon". Apple have a very slick on-line upgrade
    > mechanism, which mostly runs by clicking an entry in a dropdown
    > menu, followed by yes/no responses and a reboot (or two).

    They do have a slick way of upgrading and it is quite impressive.
    BTW, Macs don't "reboot" they simply restart. Unlike other operating
    systems (including OS/2) Macs start right up, there is no 30-60-90
    second delay and the same is for the shutdown. Plus OSX comes with an
    array of utilities and like OS/2, is often self-correcting.

    > OS/2
    > users planning to mix Intel-Mac and Parallels (new version just
    > released, apparently) to run Warp or eCS can expect it to work.

    Very true. I still have OS/2 v4.52 installed under Parallels and
    sitting on my desktop (altho' I have to admit I haven't fired it up in
    many many months).

    > NB: I am not pretending to be a doctor nor are any shoving meds
    > into me, nor am I pretending to be a supercoolMacdude. I'm me.

    Well that's good to know Andrew. There is no better person to be then
    "me". :-)

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy

  7. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    On Nov 3, 7:42 am, a...@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) wrote:
    > In article
    > madodelNOS...@ptd.net "Mark Dodel" writes:
    >
    > > On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 03:31:42 UTC, "Tom Perrett" wrote:

    > > > Arcticle in "The Age", October 30th, Melbourne, Australia

    > > > "LEPARD IN THE COLD"
    > > > [...]

    > > I have the Leopard Family pack here for 3 days now and so far I've
    > > held off on installing it because of these problems. Hopefully Apple
    > > figures all this out soon.

    > That's pretty much my feeling. Over the years, OS-X has proved
    > to be a reasonably good OS, if not as ergonomically sensible as
    > OS/2 of various favours. The maunderings of "me-too" trolls do
    > not take any of that away from it.

    As with all religions you're going to find your zealots and Apple
    certainly has them in droves because of MS but OS/2 had them too and
    we all know how good OS/2 was.

    > In the OS-X NG which I frequent, opinion seems to be "okay thus
    > far, though some of the bugs are annoying, but the next version
    > should be along soon". Apple have a very slick on-line upgrade
    > mechanism, which mostly runs by clicking an entry in a dropdown
    > menu, followed by yes/no responses and a reboot (or two).

    They do have a slick way of upgrading and it is quite impressive.
    BTW, Macs don't "reboot" they simply restart. Unlike other operating
    systems (including OS/2) Macs start right up, there is no 30-60-90
    second delay and the same is for the shutdown. Plus OSX comes with an
    array of utilities and like OS/2, is often self-correcting.

    > OS/2
    > users planning to mix Intel-Mac and Parallels (new version just
    > released, apparently) to run Warp or eCS can expect it to work.

    Very true. I still have OS/2 v4.52 installed under Parallels and
    sitting on my desktop (altho' I have to admit I haven't fired it up in
    many many months).

    > NB: I am not pretending to be a doctor nor are any shoving meds
    > into me, nor am I pretending to be a supercoolMacdude. I'm me.

    Well that's good to know Andrew. There is no better person to be then
    "me". :-)

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy

  8. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    On Nov 2, 8:31 pm, "Tom Perrett" wrote:
    > Arcticle in "The Age", October 30th, Melbourne, Australia
    >
    > "LEPARD IN THE COLD"
    > Screams of pain are echoing over
    > the Internet as Apple's new
    > Leopard update to its OSX
    > operating system, launched last
    > Friday, has not gone smoothly.
    > Reports quickly emerged of Macs
    > "blue-screening", or freezing,
    > during the upgrade process, due
    > to software incompatibility. One of
    > the main culprits was Unsanity's
    > Application Enhancer (APE).

    APE is a known "haxie" or hack of the OSX software. Akin to placing a
    bike tire on a Ferrari. Apple does not encourage nor authorize its
    installation on the OSX system.

    > However, other APE-less
    > upgraders also found themselves
    > stuck with the infamous spinning
    > beach ball icon rather than a funky
    > new desktop. Wrote one
    > disgruntled user: "I have a
    > Powerbook which will not boot and
    > shuts itself off within a minute or
    > so of trying. (It) is now a
    > paperweight."

    A Powerbook user (still relying on PPC) should be wise enough to know
    better then to run hacked software on his machine.

    > Hmm, "blue screen of death", I suppose
    > that comes from Microsoft owning 25% of
    > the company.

    Microsoft has no ownership in Apple. Many continue to spread such
    misinformation tho' for their own personal reasons.

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy

  9. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    On Nov 2, 8:31 pm, "Tom Perrett" wrote:
    > Arcticle in "The Age", October 30th, Melbourne, Australia
    >
    > "LEPARD IN THE COLD"
    > Screams of pain are echoing over
    > the Internet as Apple's new
    > Leopard update to its OSX
    > operating system, launched last
    > Friday, has not gone smoothly.
    > Reports quickly emerged of Macs
    > "blue-screening", or freezing,
    > during the upgrade process, due
    > to software incompatibility. One of
    > the main culprits was Unsanity's
    > Application Enhancer (APE).

    APE is a known "haxie" or hack of the OSX software. Akin to placing a
    bike tire on a Ferrari. Apple does not encourage nor authorize its
    installation on the OSX system.

    > However, other APE-less
    > upgraders also found themselves
    > stuck with the infamous spinning
    > beach ball icon rather than a funky
    > new desktop. Wrote one
    > disgruntled user: "I have a
    > Powerbook which will not boot and
    > shuts itself off within a minute or
    > so of trying. (It) is now a
    > paperweight."

    A Powerbook user (still relying on PPC) should be wise enough to know
    better then to run hacked software on his machine.

    > Hmm, "blue screen of death", I suppose
    > that comes from Microsoft owning 25% of
    > the company.

    Microsoft has no ownership in Apple. Many continue to spread such
    misinformation tho' for their own personal reasons.

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy

  10. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    On a pleasant day while strolling in comp.os.os2.misc, a
    person by the name of Andrew Stephenson exclaimed:
    > That's pretty much my feeling. Over the years, OS-X has proved
    > to be a reasonably good OS, if not as ergonomically sensible as
    > OS/2 of various favours. The maunderings of "me-too" trolls do
    > not take any of that away from it.

    Every time I feel a serious interest in OSX some
    horrendous bug comes along that makes me think they're
    not really any better than Microsoft (or Linux). I also
    think they are emphasising prettiness over real
    usability far too much. Although I also think that works
    for their fashion conscious markets.
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

  11. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    On Nov 6, 7:09 am, Aaron Lawrence
    wrote:
    > On a pleasant day while strolling in comp.os.os2.misc, a
    > person by the name of Andrew Stephenson exclaimed:
    >
    > > That's pretty much my feeling. Over the years, OS-X has proved
    > > to be a reasonably good OS, if not as ergonomically sensible as
    > > OS/2 of various favours. The maunderings of "me-too" trolls do
    > > not take any of that away from it.

    > Every time I feel a serious interest in OSX some
    > horrendous bug comes along that makes me think they're
    > not really any better than Microsoft (or Linux). I also
    > think they are emphasising prettiness over real
    > usability far too much. Although I also think that works
    > for their fashion conscious markets.
    > --
    > aaronl at consultant dot com
    > For every expert, there is an equal and
    > opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

    LOL! Yes - all those "horrendous" bugs are awful. Which one would
    that be, Aaron? You hack a private product and you complain when it
    stops working for you - why, it's all of those horrendous bugs, isn't
    it? You *WISH* OS/2 was as good as OSX. OS/2 is dead and buried by
    IBM. Even you don't use it and hide behind SuperNews to keep your
    favored OS hidden from the OS/2 community. Why is no one surprised?
    Consulting must not be very lucrative for you.

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy

  12. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    wrote:
    > On a pleasant day while strolling in comp.os.os2.misc, a
    > person by the name of Andrew Stephenson exclaimed:
    >
    > > That's pretty much my feeling. Over the years, OS-X has proved
    > > to be a reasonably good OS, if not as ergonomically sensible as
    > > OS/2 of various favours. The maunderings of "me-too" trolls do
    > > not take any of that away from it.

    > Every time I feel a serious interest in OSX some
    > horrendous bug comes along that makes me think they're
    > not really any better than Microsoft (or Linux). I also
    > think they are emphasising prettiness over real
    > usability far too much. Although I also think that works
    > for their fashion conscious markets.

    LOL! Yes - all those "horrendous" bugs are awful. Which one would
    that be, Aaron? You hack a private product and you complain when it
    stops working for you - why, it's all of those horrendous bugs, isn't
    it? You *WISH* OS/2 was as good as OSX. OS/2 is dead and buried by
    IBM. Even you don't use it and hide behind SuperNews to keep your
    favored OS hidden from the OS/2 community.

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy

    When guys like you get your heads pulled out of your asses you're
    going to see the light.

  13. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    On Nov 7, 12:43 am, "Riccardo Rubini" wrote:

    I don't know of anyone more stupid then you "Ricci..."

    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    > > Utter nonsense, of course. Apple products are innovative, progressive
    > > and very appealing to those who want to live in today's world and not
    > > the world of 1990. If you are old, fat, jaded and make minimum wage
    > > then yes, Apple products will not appeal to you. Apple's products are
    > > competitively priced for the value and quality they offer.

    > Sure...A perfect example of Apple's innovation is called "Superdrive". The
    > superdrive is nothing but a crappy Matsu****a ( Panasonic ) DVD burner you
    > can buy for ~ 30$ at discount supermarkets all around the world, but Apple
    > charges you around 100$ for one bundled in their precious bling hardware.

    CTO - Configure To Order Ricci. Ever heard of it? If you think the
    hardware is too expensive then don't but it from Apple, buy it from
    the many online hardware vendors such as OWC. They will sell you the
    exact same SuperDrive for nearly 1/3 the cost. And you can put it in
    yourself! Too stupid to put it in yourself? Then have Apple do it
    for you. Duh...

    > Another great example is RAM. A 1 Gb DDR2 667 Mhz module, that usually costs
    > 25$ on the aftermarket, is sold as a MacMini upgrade for 150$.

    Crucial, OWC, etc - all sell the very same RAM for 1/3 the cost. If
    you're too stupid to install your own RAM then by all means, CTO your
    next Mac directly from Apple. They will be happy to charge you for
    your stupidity.

    > Let's go on... Another progressive, innovative and appealing Apple practice
    > is the dollar/euro exchange... Nowadays everybody and his sister knows the
    > dollar isn't worth jack**** compared to the Euro...Yet, Apple applies an
    > exchange ratio of 1:1 when selling its products in Europe: ie. MacMini on
    > the US Store 599$, Euro zone store 599 EUR. Just for your information, I
    > understand you probably aren't smart enough to find such informations on
    > your own, Timmy, 1 EUR is 1.46 USD ...

    Poor Ricci - "to find such informations..." Take a class in English
    grammar you nimrod. If Europeans, such as yourself, are stupid enough
    to pay the price then don't blame Apple, blame yourself for being
    stupid.

    > Buying Apple stuff made sense when Macs were running on the PPC
    > architecture. Indeed, I got an iBook back then. Nowadays, when you can run
    > OSX on a Dell, which costs half what a Mac does and is virtually identical
    > except for the fancy design, it really makes no sense. Apple Intel Macs are
    > nothing but highly polished turds. But it's still the same **** as HP and
    > Dell under the fancy hood.

    Really Ricci? Go ahead and buy cheap hardware but don't whine when it
    falls apart and you have to pay twice to replace the hardware.

    > In perspective, Apple charges people like they're selling Ferrari's, but
    > their Ferrari's carry a Fiat 500 engine inside...

    Nice to see you **** your pants and froth at the mouth Ricci. You
    Microsoft (X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138)
    lackeys are all the same: pathetic little whiners. Pissed because OSX
    runs circles around Vista. Take your MS operating system and go back
    to the failed Vista newsgroups.

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy

  14. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > On Nov 7, 12:43 am, "Riccardo Rubini" wrote:
    >
    > I don't know of anyone more stupid then you "Ricci..."

    That means you haven't talked to your inner self for years! I am not
    surprised though! You know, otherwise you would have said to yourself
    something like "look Tim, you've littered your name in newsgroups for years
    and you've embarassed yourself playing the clown of a whole
    community...Maybe it's time to stop!" - proceeding to smack your empty head
    with a trout on your own! However, I don't want to be too hard on you...
    After all there's really nothing that wrong with you that couldn't be cured
    with an overdose of Prozac and a baseball bat, or, better yet, suicide! So
    we stay optimistic!

    >> The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    >> Sure...A perfect example of Apple's innovation is called
    >> "Superdrive". The superdrive is nothing but a crappy Matsu****a (
    >> Panasonic ) DVD burner you can buy for ~ 30$ at discount
    >> supermarkets all around the world, but Apple charges you around 100$
    >> for one bundled in their precious bling hardware.

    > CTO - Configure To Order Ricci. Ever heard of it? If you think the
    > hardware is too expensive then don't but it from Apple, buy it from
    > the many online hardware vendors such as OWC. They will sell you the
    > exact same SuperDrive for nearly 1/3 the cost. And you can put it in
    > yourself! Too stupid to put it in yourself? Then have Apple do it
    > for you. Duh...

    Timmy, didn't mommy love you enough, that's why you're so desperately
    looking for attention? When you will learn not to make a perfect fool out of
    yourself in public? Is that some form of stupid sadomasochism? If you truly
    had a Mac - at this point it's perfectly clear you don't! - you would know
    it's not that easy, because of compatibility issues. But, most importantly,
    installing third party hardware inside your Mac equals saying good-bye to
    the computer's warranty, contrary to what happens buying a Dell! Yes! Yes,
    Timmy, you are truly a little funny dork! And that's why you chose willingly
    to be Steve Jobs' little bitch, giving him desperate love letters in an OS/2
    groups. Little you know, Steve Jobs doesn't give a **** about your will to
    give him a free blow job and a shake - on the other side, we, the OS/2
    users, just laugh at your insane and permanent idiocy!

    >> Another great example is RAM. A 1 Gb DDR2 667 Mhz module, that
    >> usually costs 25$ on the aftermarket, is sold as a MacMini upgrade
    >> for 150$.

    > Crucial, OWC, etc - all sell the very same RAM for 1/3 the cost. If
    > you're too stupid to install your own RAM then by all means, CTO your
    > next Mac directly from Apple. They will be happy to charge you for
    > your stupidity.

    Little you know, Timmy, is that opening up your MiniMac - or whatever that
    brick's called - means "bye-bye" to your warranty! So either you wait your
    warranty to expire or you buy the RAM from Apple, paying it 3 times the
    aftermarket price! Remember, Timmy: "It is better to be silent and be
    thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." and I really think Mark
    Twain was thinking of you!

    >> Let's go on... Another progressive, innovative and appealing Apple
    >> practice is the dollar/euro exchange... Nowadays everybody and his
    >> sister knows the dollar isn't worth jack**** compared to the
    >> Euro...Yet, Apple applies an exchange ratio of 1:1 when selling its
    >> products in Europe: ie. MacMini on the US Store 599$, Euro zone
    >> store 599 EUR. Just for your information, I understand you probably
    >> aren't smart enough to find such informations on your own, Timmy, 1
    >> EUR is 1.46 USD ...

    > Poor Ricci - "to find such informations..." Take a class in English
    > grammar you nimrod.

    First we had Timmy the Doctor of Software, now we have the Doctor of English
    Style --- You're funny, fatass! LOL By the way, why don't you try to write
    in a foreigner language too, dimwit? Wait, you can! I forgot that you are
    fluent in Gibbering Moronese! That, coupled with your utter ignorance and
    fetish for public humiliation, I guess, speaks volumes about your place in
    the Bell Curve: it's between "mental retardation" and "why did you ran an IQ
    test on this brick anyway?". I suppose we should have some sympathy for your
    bad, bad handicap: you are clearly paralyzed inside the skull.

    > If Europeans, such as yourself, are stupid enough
    > to pay the price then don't blame Apple, blame yourself for being
    > stupid.

    Indeed we don't! You're the only stupid to pay thousands of dollars to Apple
    for overpriced stuff so far! Then you came here, like a 5 years old, and
    brag about it: "I bought this, I bought that! Wanna play with me!?" - But
    nobody gives a **** about you and we, who haven't plonked you yet, just want
    to play _with you_ when it's time to mock you, toy you and clamp fun on your
    back!

    Hmm, that blog you have doesn't go well, right? Nobody cares to read your
    inane thoughts, I know. Yep, that's the problem, you write that blog, you
    realize nobody reads it, then why you come over here, so, you think, a
    couple of people will *have to* read my illeterate and incoherent mental
    ramblings! And you're right, we do read your stuff, only to shake our heads
    laughing at your hunchback!

    >> Buying Apple stuff made sense when Macs were running on the PPC
    >> architecture. Indeed, I got an iBook back then. Nowadays, when you
    >> can run OSX on a Dell, which costs half what a Mac does and is
    >> virtually identical except for the fancy design, it really makes no
    >> sense. Apple Intel Macs are nothing but highly polished turds. But
    >> it's still the same **** as HP and Dell under the fancy hood.

    > Really Ricci? Go ahead and buy cheap hardware but don't whine when it
    > falls apart and you have to pay twice to replace the hardware.

    Ahahaha!!! Fool! It's THE SAME hardware you have in your Mac, you dumbass!
    Quit scratching your head with your foot, and try to figure out it's exactly
    the same hardware you pay for your stupid Bling-Bling Ghetto-pimped Macs!
    Apple uses the SAME hardware Dell and HP do, open your Mac with your clave,
    if you lack the opposition of thumb and can't handle a screwdriver, and
    *take a look*! Same hardware - but you pay *two to three times* the price
    Dell and HP charge for it! Why? Because Apple computers nowadays are just
    fashionable gadgets so that queers like you can have something to show off,
    apart from a fat ass!

    >> In perspective, Apple charges people like they're selling Ferrari's,
    >> but their Ferrari's carry a Fiat 500 engine inside...

    > Nice to see you **** your pants and froth at the mouth Ricci.

    LOL... Are you done already playing with the bells, Quasimode? You wouldn't
    scare a mental midget in the thinking field - let alone scare me! You can
    just scare people away with your fat ass and huncback look! I am just
    laughing at your pathetic attempts to reply to my facts with your inane
    drivel, but let me tell you, you embarked yourself in a venture that will
    only lead to me ripping you a new asshole - so maybe you can ventilate your
    head a little further - and make will laugh at you all the way through! Go
    ahead! I mean, it's not like you have a good reputation to lose anyway! LOL

    > You
    > Microsoft (X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138)
    > lackeys are all the same: pathetic little whiners. Pissed because OSX
    > runs circles around Vista. Take your MS operating system and go back
    > to the failed Vista newsgroups.

    You apparently have managed to learn to read headers, but you can't
    comprehend what's written in them! LOL, you're making a fool out of yourself
    once again, and now it's time to head to the showers, Timmy, given your fat
    ass will make you pass through that door... I am not using Vista, I am using
    XP. If you weren't a fool, a liar and a jerk you would know that Vista
    doesn't run that version of Outlook Express :-) Oh, you're a Mac expert, I
    forgot about that - and that's the funniest thing ever to think about! :-)))

    But remember, dimwit, It's not important what newsreader you do use, it
    matters what you do with it, that's why, regardless you use OS/2, Windows or
    a Mac you will still stay retarded, Timmy! Now go back chewing on your foot
    nails and come back here for another public spanking soon, please! :-)))

    Riccardo

  15. Re: LEOPARD IN THE COLD

    In article <4732dec0$0$10628$4fafbaef@reader2.news.tin.it>
    rubini@despammed.com "Riccardo Rubini" writes:

    > [...]

    Riccardo, you are totally wasting your time in talking directly
    to our pet troll. Do what the rest of us do: have fun, talking
    with the rest of us about more general spinoff topics and leave
    him/her/it to witter on alone.

    Part of the problem with his/her/its sort is, they are the kind
    of nincompoop who would rush into a hospital maternity ward and
    scream about discovering sex. It _doesn't matter_ to them that
    the rest of us have known about the good tech for ages and have
    been using it productively that long. To them, seeming to know
    more than anyone else is what matters -- and shouting loudly is
    their way of convincing themselves they know most. But they'll
    never understand that. (I have picked up lots of ideas for the
    weirder characters in my fiction from such kooks. One _cannot_
    make up the nuttier behaviour, except possibly by a random plot
    generator.)

    Another part of these kooks' problem is a selective memory. In
    later times if they were proved in public to be massively wrong
    then, hey, none of it happened: they'll ignore whatever doesn't
    suit their ego needs and will lie brazenly (in best Dr Goebbels
    style) about those criticising them. That's why I never bother
    to read our pet troll's vapourings, just skim for a laugh any I
    see quoted.

    See the problem? There was a neat sig someone once used (here,
    IIRC). Roughly: "Never mud-wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys
    it and you'll get muddy." HTH.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

+ Reply to Thread