HP920c printer, Jetadmin, bidirectional - OS2

This is a discussion on HP920c printer, Jetadmin, bidirectional - OS2 ; I have been having major trouble with printing from eCS 1.2R, especially Dos and Win 3.11 apps. I had the bidi.exe bidirectional printer driver zip from 1999 in my bbs files, so I unpacked it and found it would work ...

  1. HP920c printer, Jetadmin, bidirectional

    I have been having major trouble with printing from eCS 1.2R, especially
    Dos and Win 3.11 apps. I had the bidi.exe bidirectional printer driver
    zip from 1999 in my bbs files, so I unpacked it and found it would work
    with an HP920c if HP's Jetadmin was also installed. So, I googled for
    Jetadmin, found the last version for OS/2, downloaded it, and installed it
    with the par1284 driver (par1284.sys /LPT1). After a reboot, I tried to
    print a long document from MultiMate (Dos word processor - we still use
    it, along with Windows greeting card apps.) Every few pages, I got an
    error message from OS/2 saying something is wrong with your printer, check
    the desktop. On the desktop, I get the abort, retry, cancel choices. I
    hit retry each time, and printing continued, but why didn't the whole file
    print without error? How can I fix this? I have no idea. All help
    greatly appreciated by this person of minimal knowledge.

    Also, I should be able to download the OS/2 version of Openoffice, but I
    haven't been able to find it.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  2. Re: HP920c printer, Jetadmin, bidirectional

    Sir:

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > I have been having major trouble with printing from eCS 1.2R, especially
    > Dos and Win 3.11 apps. I had the bidi.exe bidirectional printer driver
    > zip from 1999 in my bbs files, so I unpacked it and found it would work
    > with an HP920c if HP's Jetadmin was also installed. So, I googled for
    > Jetadmin, found the last version for OS/2, downloaded it, and installed it
    > with the par1284 driver (par1284.sys /LPT1). After a reboot, I tried to
    > print a long document from MultiMate (Dos word processor - we still use
    > it, along with Windows greeting card apps.) Every few pages, I got an
    > error message from OS/2 saying something is wrong with your printer, check
    > the desktop. On the desktop, I get the abort, retry, cancel choices. I
    > hit retry each time, and printing continued, but why didn't the whole file
    > print without error? How can I fix this? I have no idea. All help
    > greatly appreciated by this person of minimal knowledge.

    Double check that the parallel cable is IEEE 1284 cable. If it is, then
    look into your BIOS to check that the port is enable for ECP. You
    should note that the IBM scroll mouse driver is mutually exclusive with
    this driver. You can use only one or the other.

    > Also, I should be able to download the OS/2 version of Openoffice, but I
    > haven't been able to find it.

    Download the Openoffice202_win32 version and no later. Into the folder,
    openoffice, copy aros2.exe & ar32win.dll (from Acrobat Reader port by
    Innotek) & unzip the download here. Create a program object on your
    desktop and put as executable the openoffice\aros2.exe with parameter of
    openoffice\program\soffice.bin with a working directory of openoffice.
    Give it one of the pretty icons found therein.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: HP920c printer, Jetadmin, bidirectional

    Hi

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    >> I have been having major trouble with printing from eCS 1.2R, especially
    >> Dos and Win 3.11 apps. I had the bidi.exe bidirectional printer driver
    >> zip from 1999 in my bbs files, so I unpacked it and found it would work
    >> with an HP920c if HP's Jetadmin was also installed. So, I googled for
    >> Jetadmin, found the last version for OS/2, downloaded it, and installed it
    >> with the par1284 driver (par1284.sys /LPT1). After a reboot, I tried to
    >> print a long document from MultiMate (Dos word processor - we still use
    >> it, along with Windows greeting card apps.) Every few pages, I got an
    >> error message from OS/2 saying something is wrong with your printer, check
    >> the desktop. On the desktop, I get the abort, retry, cancel choices. I
    >> hit retry each time, and printing continued, but why didn't the whole file
    >> print without error? How can I fix this? I have no idea. All help
    >> greatly appreciated by this person of minimal knowledge.
    >>

    > Double check that the parallel cable is IEEE 1284 cable. If it is, then
    > look into your BIOS to check that the port is enable for ECP. You
    > should note that the IBM scroll mouse driver is mutually exclusive with
    > this driver. You can use only one or the other.
    >
    >> Also, I should be able to download the OS/2 version of Openoffice, but I
    >> haven't been able to find it.
    >>

    > Download the Openoffice202_win32 version and no later. Into the folder,
    > openoffice, copy aros2.exe & ar32win.dll (from Acrobat Reader port by
    > Innotek) & unzip the download here. Create a program object on your
    > desktop and put as executable the openoffice\aros2.exe with parameter of
    > openoffice\program\soffice.bin with a working directory of openoffice.
    > Give it one of the pretty icons found therein.

    And get used to having to restart OO2 and rescue whatever files got
    trashed when it crashes - frequently...

    OO2 for Windows is not worth the effort - but the OS/2 port is not that
    good either; still using OO115 for Windows here in preference.

    OO2 for OS/2 is available from Mensys http://shop.mensys.nl/mns_os2.html

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: HP920c printer, Jetadmin, bidirectional

    In <47263a53$0$15376$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, on 10/29/07
    at 02:54 PM, "William L. Hartzell" said:

    >Double check that the parallel cable is IEEE 1284 cable. If it is, then
    >look into your BIOS to check that the port is enable for ECP. You should
    >note that the IBM scroll mouse driver is mutually exclusive with this
    >driver. You can use only one or the other.

    Thanks. Will this work with the bios set to EPP?

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  5. Re: HP920c printer, Jetadmin, bidirectional

    In , on 10/31/07
    at 04:56 AM, Peter Brown said:

    >OO2 for Windows is not worth the effort - but the OS/2 port is not that
    >good either; still using OO115 for Windows here in preference.

    >OO2 for OS/2 is available from Mensys http://shop.mensys.nl/mns_os2.html

    I shall look there. Thank you.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  6. Re: HP920c printer, Jetadmin, bidirectional

    Sir:

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > In <47263a53$0$15376$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, on 10/29/07
    > at 02:54 PM, "William L. Hartzell" said:
    >

    >> Double check that the parallel cable is IEEE 1284 cable. If it is, then
    >> look into your BIOS to check that the port is enable for ECP. You should
    >> note that the IBM scroll mouse driver is mutually exclusive with this
    >> driver. You can use only one or the other.

    > Thanks. Will this work with the bios set to EPP?

    Yes, assuming that it is the version that IEEE adopted as standard (safe
    bet if the equipment is newer than ten years old).
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  7. Re: HP920c printer, Jetadmin, bidirectional

    In <472928c0$0$9562$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, on 10/31/07
    at 08:15 PM, "William L. Hartzell" said:

    >>> Double check that the parallel cable is IEEE 1284 cable. If it is, then
    >>> look into your BIOS to check that the port is enable for ECP. You should
    >>> note that the IBM scroll mouse driver is mutually exclusive with this
    >>> driver. You can use only one or the other.

    >> Thanks. Will this work with the bios set to EPP?
    >>

    >Yes, assuming that it is the version that IEEE adopted as standard (safe
    >bet if the equipment is newer than ten years old).

    I've set the bios to ECP+EPP, and the printer seems to now be working well
    in eCS. I'd like to have a software means of checking the ink levels.