    "when v2.0 is released we'll show the world!" What you've shown the
    world is your stupidity and ineptitude. Accept it. Grow Up. Move
    on, for Godsakes!

    New York Times, October 23, 2007

    Record Mac Sales Help Apple Earnings Climb 67% in
    Quarter

    By John Markoff

    SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 22 ‹ Apple reported earnings on Monday
    that leapt ahead of analysts¹ already optimistic
    expectations on record sales of its Macintosh
    computers.

    The numbers showed that the company was slowly climbing
    back into the league of the dominant personal computer
    makers, Hewlett-Packard and Dell.

    Apple reported fourth-quarter profit of $904 million, or
    $1.01 a share, up from $542 million, or 62 cents, in the
    quarter a year ago, an increase of 67 percent. Analysts had
    predicted profit of 85 cents a share.

    Sales rose to $6.22 billion, from $4.84 billion. Gross
    margin also surged, to 33.6 percent, from 29.2 percent a
    year ago.

    Apple said it sold 2.16 million Macintosh computers
    worldwide in the quarter, an increase of 400,000 over the
    previous record. It does not break out domestic and foreign
    sales.

    The market research firm Dataquest estimated last week that
    Apple sold 1.3 million computers in the United States, and
    IDC put the figure at 1.1 million. In the same period, Dell
    sold 5 million computers and H.P. sold 4.3 million in the
    United States, according to the IDC report.

    Apple introduced a minor mystery during a conference call
    with analysts and reporters. In response to analysts¹
    questions, Timothy Cook, Apple¹s chief operating officer,
    acknowledged that as many as 250,000 iPhones had been
    purchased but then not activated for service with AT&T,
    Apple¹s exclusive wireless partner in the United States.
    This is important because Apple receives payments based on
    each iPhone subscription with AT&T.

    Mr. Cook said he thought the phones had had their digital
    locks broken, presumably so they could be used with another
    carrier, but he said he was not certain what had become of
    them. There have been reports of people buying iPhones and
    unlocking them for resale overseas.

    Apple¹s stock skyrocketed in after-hours trading, rising
    almost 7 percent, to $186.35. The company is in the midst
    of one of the strongest stretches of its three-decade
    history, with recently revamped iPods selling briskly and a
    new version of its operating system scheduled to appear
    Friday.

    Moreover, the company said it expected its strong growth to
    continue into the holiday quarter.

    ³We¹re looking forward to our best December quarter ever,²
    said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple¹s chief financial
    officer.

    Mr. Cook cited strong European growth but said Japan
    continued to be the company¹s ³most challenging² market. He
    also noted that the company had grown faster than the
    overall personal computer market for 11 of the past 12
    quarters, and he pointed in particular to an extraordinary
    back-to-school market. Sales were so strong that Apple
    forecast relatively flat Macintosh sales for the holiday
    quarter.

    ³It¹s becoming chronic,² said Charles Wolf, a financial
    analyst who publishes Wolf Bytes, an industry newsletter.
    ³The beauty is that their market share is so low that they
    have a huge upside potential.²

    For the coming quarter, Mr. Oppenheimer forecast revenue of
    $9.2 billion and earnings of $1.42 a share. The revenue
    amount is about $700 million above what Wall Street
    analysts have been projecting.

    One of the company¹s strongest indications that it will see
    continued growth is its report that more than 50 percent of
    those who purchased Macintosh computers in its chain of 197
    stores during the quarter were first-time Mac
    buyers.

    Analysts also noted that although Apple has been criticized
    in the past for not competing on price, it is now taking
    advantage of its brand recognition.

    ³They¹ve been dinged for not playing in the sub-$1,000,
    sub-$500 price range,² said Michael McGuire, a consumer
    electronics industry analyst at Gartner Inc., a market
    research firm. ³Looking at their margins and income, I can
    see why they don¹t want to sell there.²

    The company said that its sales partnership with Best Buy,
    which it is expanding to 270 from 230 stores, appeared to
    be successful. Apple said its retail channel inventory at
    the end of the quarter was below what it had
    expected.Although it has been on the market for just one
    quarter, the iPhone is set to be a major product for Apple.
    The company said last month that it had reached the
    one-million sold mark.

    Apple¹s stock shot up after a strong earnings report in
    July, but it then fell through the middle of August amid
    concerns that the iPhone might not maintain its early
    momentum.

    On Sept. 14, the company cut the price of the iPhone by
    $200 and offered early purchasers a $100 rebate, indicating
    that concerns about slowing sales had been justified. Since
    then Apple¹s stock has climbed steadily.

    Apple has said previously that it expects to sell 10
    million iPhones by the end of 2008. Some analysts say the
    company will easily surpass that figure. Mr. Wolf said he
    expected the company to sell 14 million phones in its first
    year and a half.

    --
    John Rethorst
    jrethorst at post dot com

  2. [FUD4] Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-time buyers

    Hi Timmy

    Not sure why you still use The OS/2 Guy moniker...

    Surely TheMacMouth would be more appropriate?

    Oh - keep taking the medication :-)

    Regards

    Pete

    © The OS/2 Guy © wrote:
> [...]
    > expected.Although it has been on the market for just one
    > quarter, the iPhone is set to be a major product for Apple.
    > The company said last month that it had reached the
    > one-million sold mark.
    >
    > Apple¹s stock shot up after a strong earnings report in
    > July, but it then fell through the middle of August amid
    > concerns that the iPhone might not maintain its early
    > momentum.
    >
    > On Sept. 14, the company cut the price of the iPhone by
    > $200 and offered early purchasers a $100 rebate, indicating
    > that concerns about slowing sales had been justified. Since
    > then Apple¹s stock has climbed steadily.
    >
    > Apple has said previously that it expects to sell 10
    > million iPhones by the end of 2008. Some analysts say the
    > company will easily surpass that figure. Mr. Wolf said he
    > expected the company to sell 14 million phones in its first

  3. [FUD4] Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-time buyers

    © The OS/2 Guy © wrote:
> [...]
    > expected.Although it has been on the market for just one
    > quarter, the iPhone is set to be a major product for Apple.
    > The company said last month that it had reached the
    > one-million sold mark.
    >
    > Apple¹s stock shot up after a strong earnings report in
    > July, but it then fell through the middle of August amid
    > concerns that the iPhone might not maintain its early
    > momentum.
    >
    > On Sept. 14, the company cut the price of the iPhone by
    > $200 and offered early purchasers a $100 rebate, indicating
    > that concerns about slowing sales had been justified. Since
    > then Apple¹s stock has climbed steadily.
    >
    > Apple has said previously that it expects to sell 10
    > million iPhones by the end of 2008. Some analysts say the
    > company will easily surpass that figure. Mr. Wolf said he
    > expected the company to sell 14 million phones in its first

  4. Re: [FUD4] Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-timebuyers

    The Mac guys must have kicked him back over here. He seems to like feel
    more comfortable here. Their gain is our loss.

    John B

    Peter Brown wrote:
> [...]
    >> expected.Although it has been on the market for just one
    >> quarter, the iPhone is set to be a major product for Apple.
    >> The company said last month that it had reached the
    >> one-million sold mark.
    >>
    >> Apple¹s stock shot up after a strong earnings report in
    >> July, but it then fell through the middle of August amid
    >> concerns that the iPhone might not maintain its early
    >> momentum.
    >>
    >> On Sept. 14, the company cut the price of the iPhone by
    >> $200 and offered early purchasers a $100 rebate, indicating
    >> that concerns about slowing sales had been justified. Since
    >> then Apple¹s stock has climbed steadily.
    >>
    >> Apple has said previously that it expects to sell 10
    >> million iPhones by the end of 2008. Some analysts say the
    >> company will easily surpass that figure. Mr. Wolf said he
    >> expected the company to sell 14 million phones in its first

  5. Re: [FUD4] Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-timebuyers

    Peter Brown wrote:
> [...]
    >> expected.Although it has been on the market for just one
    >> quarter, the iPhone is set to be a major product for Apple.
    >> The company said last month that it had reached the
    >> one-million sold mark.
    >>
    >> Apple¹s stock shot up after a strong earnings report in
    >> July, but it then fell through the middle of August amid
    >> concerns that the iPhone might not maintain its early
    >> momentum.
    >>
    >> On Sept. 14, the company cut the price of the iPhone by
    >> $200 and offered early purchasers a $100 rebate, indicating
    >> that concerns about slowing sales had been justified. Since
    >> then Apple¹s stock has climbed steadily.
    >>
    >> Apple has said previously that it expects to sell 10
    >> million iPhones by the end of 2008. Some analysts say the
    >> company will easily surpass that figure. Mr. Wolf said he
    >> expected the company to sell 14 million phones in its first

  6. Re: [FUD4] Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-timebuyers

    The Mac guys must have kicked him back over here. He seems to feel

    Peter Brown wrote:
> [...]
    >> expected.Although it has been on the market for just one
    >> quarter, the iPhone is set to be a major product for Apple.
    >> The company said last month that it had reached the
    >> one-million sold mark.
    >>
    >> Apple¹s stock shot up after a strong earnings report in
    >> July, but it then fell through the middle of August amid
    >> concerns that the iPhone might not maintain its early
    >> momentum.
    >>
    >> On Sept. 14, the company cut the price of the iPhone by
    >> $200 and offered early purchasers a $100 rebate, indicating
    >> that concerns about slowing sales had been justified. Since
    >> then Apple¹s stock has climbed steadily.
    >>
    >> Apple has said previously that it expects to sell 10
    >> million iPhones by the end of 2008. Some analysts say the
    >> company will easily surpass that figure. Mr. Wolf said he
    >> expected the company to sell 14 million phones in its first

  7. Re: [FUD4] Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-timebuyers

    Peter Brown wrote:
> [...]
    >> expected.Although it has been on the market for just one
    >> quarter, the iPhone is set to be a major product for Apple.
    >> The company said last month that it had reached the
    >> one-million sold mark.
    >>
    >> Apple¹s stock shot up after a strong earnings report in
    >> July, but it then fell through the middle of August amid
    >> concerns that the iPhone might not maintain its early
    >> momentum.
    >>
    >> On Sept. 14, the company cut the price of the iPhone by
    >> $200 and offered early purchasers a $100 rebate, indicating
    >> that concerns about slowing sales had been justified. Since
    >> then Apple¹s stock has climbed steadily.
    >>
    >> Apple has said previously that it expects to sell 10
    >> million iPhones by the end of 2008. Some analysts say the
    >> company will easily surpass that figure. Mr. Wolf said he
    >> expected the company to sell 14 million phones in its first

  8. Re: [FUD4] Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-time buyers

    On Thursday 25 October 2007 00:16, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > Hi Timmy
    >
    > Not sure why you still use The OS/2 Guy moniker...
    >
    > Surely TheMacMouth would be more appropriate?
    >
    > Oh - keep taking the medication :-)
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    Probably "Dr" Martin uses "The OS/2 Guy" as a leader
    into "Warp"' "Warped", you know, is a synonym for "Bent".

    I certainly hope he takes your advice about the medication. I saw Rock
    Hudson on his last TV appearance before he died, and ditto Yasir Arafat
    before he flew away to France on his final journey, and I wouldn't want
    that on anybody.

    --
    Stan Goodman, The Old Guy
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  9. Re: [FUD4] Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-time buyers

    wrote:

    > Hi Timmy
    >
    > Not sure why you still use The OS/2 Guy moniker...
    >
    > Surely TheMacMouth would be more appropriate?
    >
    > Oh - keep taking the medication :-)
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    Probably "Dr" Martin uses "The OS/2 Guy" as a leader
    into "Warp"' "Warped", you know, is a synonym for "Bent".

    I certainly hope he takes your advice about the medication. I saw Rock
    Hudson on his last TV appearance before he died, and ditto Yasir Arafat
    before he flew away to France on his final journey, and I wouldn't want
    that on anybody.

    --
    Stan Goodman, The Old Guy
    Qiryat Tiv'on
    Israel

  10. Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-time buyers

    In <1193229145.404463.78170@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.c om>, on 10/24/2007
    at 09:47 AM, The OS/2 Guy said:

    >Whine all you want guys but no one is moving to OS/2 (much less eCS) but
    >thousands of computer users *are* moving to OSX. No one is sympathizing
    >with OS/2 users, they are the "jokes" of the Internet. You've been
    >promised an eCS v2.0 for more than 8 years now and you still have nothing
    >and what is pathetic is that you keep claiming "when v2.0 is released
    >we'll show the world!" What you've shown the world is your stupidity and
    >ineptitude. Accept it. Grow Up. Move on, for Godsakes!

    >New York Times, October 23, 2007

    >Record Mac Sales Help Apple Earnings Climb 67% in
    >Quarter

    I didn't know there was such a pent-up demand for a mac that works!

> [...]

    >expected.Although it has been on the market for just one
    >quarter, the iPhone is set to be a major product for Apple.
    >The company said last month that it had reached the
    >one-million sold mark.

    >Apple s stock shot up after a strong earnings report in
    >July, but it then fell through the middle of August amid
    >concerns that the iPhone might not maintain its early
    >momentum.

    >On Sept. 14, the company cut the price of the iPhone by
    >$200 and offered early purchasers a $100 rebate, indicating
    >that concerns about slowing sales had been justified. Since
    >then Apple s stock has climbed steadily.

    >Apple has said previously that it expects to sell 10
    >million iPhones by the end of 2008. Some analysts say the
    >company will easily surpass that figure. Mr. Wolf said he
    >expected the company to sell 14 million phones in its first

  11. Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-time buyers

    at 09:47 AM, The OS/2 Guy said:

> [...]

    >expected.Although it has been on the market for just one
    >quarter, the iPhone is set to be a major product for Apple.
    >The company said last month that it had reached the
    >one-million sold mark.

    >Apple s stock shot up after a strong earnings report in
    >July, but it then fell through the middle of August amid
    >concerns that the iPhone might not maintain its early
    >momentum.

    >On Sept. 14, the company cut the price of the iPhone by
    >$200 and offered early purchasers a $100 rebate, indicating
    >that concerns about slowing sales had been justified. Since
    >then Apple s stock has climbed steadily.

    >Apple has said previously that it expects to sell 10
    >million iPhones by the end of 2008. Some analysts say the
    >company will easily surpass that figure. Mr. Wolf said he
    >expected the company to sell 14 million phones in its first

  12. Re: [FUD4] Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-timebuyers

    On 10/24/07 03:16 pm, Peter Brown wrote:
    If you must feed the troll, please don't quote him excessively
    Dave

  13. Re: [FUD4] Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-timebuyers

    On 10/24/07 03:16 pm, Peter Brown wrote:
    If you must feed the troll, please don't quote him excessively
    Dave

  14. Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-time buyers

    On Oct 25, 4:24 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:
    > On 10/24/07 03:16 pm, Peter Brown wrote:
    > If you must feed the troll, please don't quote him excessively
    > Dave

    It is sad Dave that you would work to destroy the avenues available to
    the few OS/2 users left. Guys like you push them to Microsoft but
    then, maybe that's your ultimate goal here. Are you working for
    Microsoft Dave? Or are you just too stupid to realize what it is you
    are doing? The majority of former OS/2 users today use OS X - the
    MAJORITY. We are no longer a minority. Simply striking out at the
    messenger is not going to stop the transition away from OS/2 - it is
    going to help push those now sitting on the fence trying to figure out
    what they are going to do and in what direction they are going to go.
    Because Dave, they HAVE to go in one direction or another. OS/2 is
    dead and there is nothing Serenity can do or promise to bring the
    faded OS/2 user up to snuff.

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    http://www.os2guy.com

  15. Re: Mac sales hit all-time record; 50% are first-time buyers

    On Oct 25, 4:24 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:
    > On 10/24/07 03:16 pm, Peter Brown wrote:
    > If you must feed the troll, please don't quote him excessively
    > Dave

    It is sad Dave that you would work to destroy the avenues available to
    the few OS/2 users left. Guys like you push them to Microsoft but
    then, maybe that's your ultimate goal here. Are you working for
    Microsoft Dave? Or are you just too stupid to realize what it is you
    are doing? The majority of former OS/2 users today use OS X - the
    MAJORITY. We are no longer a minority. Simply striking out at the
    messenger is not going to stop the transition away from OS/2 - it is
    going to help push those now sitting on the fence trying to figure out
    what they are going to do and in what direction they are going to go.
    Because Dave, they HAVE to go in one direction or another. OS/2 is
    dead and there is nothing Serenity can do or promise to bring the
    faded OS/2 user up to snuff.

    Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    Visit The OS/2 Guy Blog Today
    http://www.os2guy.com