FixPack c006 thoughts? - OS2

This is a discussion on FixPack c006 thoughts? - OS2 ; Would anyone be willing to comment on details of what failed for them after installing the leaked FixPack C006. Comments were made of failures concerning it. It would be helpful to have a collection of such comments to me. I ...

  1. FixPack c006 thoughts?

    Would anyone be willing to comment on details of what failed for them after
    installing the leaked FixPack C006. Comments were made of failures concerning
    it. It would be helpful to have a collection of such comments to me.

    I have a cloned SATA hard drive test tray with an applied version of it
    installed over the official IBM XRC005 release, together with all of the
    'latest' other MPTN/TCP/PEER and such stuff. To date, strictly for test and
    research purposes, this C006 install has not failed nor produced known
    problems. But then again, this isn't a box on which days and days go by and
    heavy use of whatever Seamonkey install is run for days on end with a pile of
    tabs and such working.

    Thanks.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  2. Re: FixPack c006 thoughts?

    Mike Luther wrote:
    > Would anyone be willing to comment on details of what failed for them
    > after installing the leaked FixPack C006. Comments were made of failures
    > concerning it. It would be helpful to have a collection of such comments
    > to me.
    >
    > I have a cloned SATA hard drive test tray with an applied version of it
    > installed over the official IBM XRC005 release, together with all of the
    > 'latest' other MPTN/TCP/PEER and such stuff. To date, strictly for test
    > and research purposes, this C006 install has not failed nor produced
    > known problems. But then again, this isn't a box on which days and days
    > go by and heavy use of whatever Seamonkey install is run for days on end
    > with a pile of tabs and such working.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I was the one that reported most of them, however, it has been long
    enough I don't recall what they were. I didn't realize while I had it
    installed that it was the cause, there were many small problems that
    went away upon backing it out (I did have to back out the 14.105
    kernel to 14.104a right after I applied it but I don't recall now what
    problems it caused... and no they are not the same, the size was even
    different).
    Andy

  3. Re: FixPack c006 thoughts?

    I've been playing with OS/2 4.52 in a virtual machine (Virtualbox
    1.5.0) and I'm not having any problems I can specifically pin on
    C006. I have seen some stability problems (PM randomly hanging
    indefinitely) but I had those from C005 and earlier, and I have a
    suspicion of what may be causing that, which is not related to the
    fixpack.

  4. Re: FixPack c006 thoughts?

    Thanks!

    S.SubZero wrote:
    > I've been playing with OS/2 4.52 in a virtual machine (Virtualbox
    > 1.5.0) and I'm not having any problems I can specifically pin on
    > C006. I have seen some stability problems (PM randomly hanging
    > indefinitely) but I had those from C005 and earlier, and I have a
    > suspicion of what may be causing that, which is not related to the
    > fixpack.

    If you would, please post your suspicion of the PM randomly hanging
    indefinitely here. I've had system lockups on one box with C005 which I'm
    suspect are related somehow to having the Privoxy log file always open if
    version 3.0.5 is started from boot up, together with at times SIO2K's log file
    in relation to always running DOS-VDM COMM applications, which also keep a very
    large log file open constantly. And is available for PEER server work, though
    not connected at all to any workstation. That all at the same time IP
    connectivity is there 24X7 for IP connection, through both the Injoy firewall
    which is also behind a hardware firewall in ZyXel's products.

    I think these that I see are related to OS/2's, what is it, hourly (?) regular
    urge to update the .INI files. If it happens to hit at the same time COMM port
    action is there, which is time share restricted by TAME here, as well as IP
    issues, and the logging file work, I can see very random full system locks.
    But these have been there before C005.

    I've almost totally gotten rid of this by stopping the use of Privoxy unless
    the browser is running. It has been about 60 days since I've seen a hard lock
    here on this box with C005.

    Thanks!

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  5. Re: FixPack c006 thoughts?

    On Oct 27, 7:55 am, Mike Luther wrote:
    > If you would, please post your suspicion of the PM randomly hanging
    > indefinitely here.

    The times I had the PM go into lala-land, I know most if not all of
    those times I was using the DANIS506 driver. In at least one case
    Virtualbox's hard drive indicator locked into an "access" state when
    this happened, which gives me more suspicion. I am thinking either
    the virtual machine isn't reporting compatible info to the driver, or
    the driver just isn't friendly with Virtualbox. It doesn't matter
    really, since the virtual filesystem is really fast so I don't need
    it.

    This install is a bit wacky since I haven't used OS/2 in years and
    I've just been installing random things. My eventual hope is to make
    a "slipstreamed" OS/2 install disc with C006 and all the other
    "latest" fixpacks integrated, and then make a whole new install. Been
    trying to get UPDCD to do this but it's a very complicated and strange
    application.

+ Reply to Thread