Is your Airport not working? Hell, do you even have an Airport? Do you
even know what it is? It is a local area wireless network you can
easily connect all of your computers to for fast internet
connectivity. If you are in one of those categories, then worry not,
because you can still share your internet connection with other
computers in your household wirelessly, just turn one of your Mac's
into an Airport! Let's do this together shall we?

You will need: a Mac with an Ethernet port and an Airport card,
running Mac OS X. Note here: When you order your Mac Pro machine
make sure you have Airport Extreme installed. Ok, here we go.

Step 1: Plug in the Ethernet cable of your broadband/modem/whatever to
the Mac you wish to use as an Airport. Once that is done, you are
connected to the internet automatically, no configuration needed.
Yeah I know, much too easy. Thank God it is OSX and not OS/2, huh?

Step 2: Now we need to set your Mac up so that it shares the internet
connection with the rest of the computers in your house or business.
To do so, open System Preferences, and click on the Sharing pane under
the Internet & Network category.

Step 3: On the Sharing pane, click on the Internet tab. Go to Share
your internet connection from: and select the built-in gigabyte
Ethernet 1 (or two if you have two gigabyte Ethernet ports/connections
as I have). Now click, AirPort in the box that says "To computers
using ..." Next, select Airport Options on that same screen. Select
WEP (or WPA or WPA2 for heavier security), create a name for your
"Network" (mine is WarpCity - go figger!) and add a 13 letter/digital
combination password. Click on the Start button for internet sharing!

Step 4: Now you're good to go! Your Airport status menu item (up there
in your top menu bar) should have an arrow pointing up on it,
symbolizing the signal your Mac is sending out to your other
computer(s). Now go to your other computer and connect them
wirelessly to the internet via your Aiport Wifi menu button (or
appropriate wireless menu). The drop down menu will list your
network. Click on it and insert your password. You are now
wirelessly connected! (Note here, do you have printers with
wireless connectivity? If so, turn them on, select the network/
password and presto! Same with shared external hard drives!) All of
your Mac machines will use the 802.11n protocol and your wireless
connection will be five times faster and will have a range of about
200 feet. Your Windows, Linux and OS/2 machines will default to the
slower 802.11g protocol and will have a much shorter range of about 70
feet! So you can see the wireless advantage when using OSX and the
Mac! WaaaHOOO!

That's it! Happy wireless computing. Don't you wish it was that easy
when using OS/2?

Dr. Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy