Google news server - OS2

This is a discussion on Google news server - OS2 ; What is the name of the news server this group (and other OS/2 groups) is located on? I am starting to use ProNews and I do not know what server are we on. I receive the new messages by MR/2, ...

  1. Google news server

    What is the name of the news server this group (and other OS/2 groups)
    is located on? I am starting to use ProNews and I do not know what
    server are we on. I receive the new messages by MR/2, but I wound
    like to search some older messages for some topics.

    Regards,
    Zoltan

  2. Re: Google news server

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 04:46:59 -0700, Zoltan wrote:

    > What is the name of the news server this group (and other OS/2 groups)
    > is located on? I am starting to use ProNews and I do not know what
    > server are we on. I receive the new messages by MR/2, but I wound like
    > to search some older messages for some topics.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Zoltan

    You'll have to point your web browser to groups.google.com and search
    for the OS/2 newsgroups.

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/

  3. Re: Google news server

    On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 11:46:59 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, Zoltan
    wrote:

    > What is the name of the news server this group (and other OS/2 groups)
    > is located on? I am starting to use ProNews and I do not know what
    > server are we on. I receive the new messages by MR/2, but I wound
    > like to search some older messages for some topics.

    This news group should be available on any server - that's the way usenet works,
    the servers talk to each other and exchange messages among themselves so
    everyone gets everything. How long they keep them for is another matter. If your
    current server's retention period is too short then you probably need to
    subscribe to a premium news service like, f.e., Giganews who keep text based
    articles for about 5 years now! But it'll cost you. Google groups are free but
    not accessible from a news reader like Pronews.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  4. Re: Google news server

    On Oct 6, 11:29 am, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:
    > On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 11:46:59 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, Zoltan
    >
    > wrote:
    > > What is the name of the news server this group (and other OS/2 groups)
    > > is located on? I am starting to use ProNews and I do not know what
    > > server are we on. I receive the new messages by MR/2, but I wound
    > > like to search some older messages for some topics.

    > This news group should be available on any server - that's the way usenet works,
    > the servers talk to each other and exchange messages among themselves so
    > everyone gets everything. How long they keep them for is another matter. If your
    > current server's retention period is too short then you probably need to
    > subscribe to a premium news service like, f.e., Giganews who keep text based
    > articles for about 5 years now! But it'll cost you. Google groups are free but
    > not accessible from a news reader like Pronews.
    >
    > --
    > Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    > Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

    What was I thinking? :-) Thank you for helping me avoid needless
    hunting.

  5. Re: Google news server

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 04:46:59 -0700, Zoltan wrote:

    > What is the name of the news server this group (and other OS/2 groups)
    > is located on? I am starting to use ProNews and I do not know what
    > server are we on. I receive the new messages by MR/2, but I wound
    > like to search some older messages for some topics.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Zoltan

    Doesn't Earthlink run its own newsservers anymore? Try news.earthlink.net .

  6. Re: Google news server

    On Oct 7, 8:55 pm, "Ann K." wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 04:46:59 -0700, Zoltan wrote:
    > > What is the name of the news server this group (and other OS/2 groups)
    > > is located on? I am starting to use ProNews and I do not know what
    > > server are we on. I receive the new messages by MR/2, but I wound
    > > like to search some older messages for some topics.

    > > Regards,
    > > Zoltan

    > Doesn't Earthlink run its own newsservers anymore? Try news.earthlink.net .

    I have no idea. I check, nothing happened.

  7. Re: Google news server

    On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 12:24:27 UTC, Zoltan wrote:
    > On Oct 7, 8:55 pm, "Ann K." wrote:
    > > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 04:46:59 -0700, Zoltan wrote:

    > > > What is the name of the news server this group (and other OS/2 groups)
    > > > is located on? I am starting to use ProNews and I do not know what
    > > > server are we on. I receive the new messages by MR/2, but I wound
    > > > like to search some older messages for some topics.

    > > Doesn't Earthlink run its own newsservers anymore? Try news.earthlink.net .

    > I have no idea. I check, nothing happened.

    Earthlink's servers are "news.east.earthlink.net" (located in Atlanta)
    and "news.west.earthlink.net" (located in L.A.). Your choice...

    In the ProNews server settings:
    - check "Wait for authentication request".
    - enter your full Earthlink email address in "User Name"
    - enter your email password in "Password"
    - the "Alias" field can be anything (I used 'News')
    - the port should remain 119

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rws AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | Remote Workplace Server v0.80
    Rich Walsh | interact with the WPS from any program
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws080.zip