Hi,

I'm currently using the openssl utilities for computing MD5 sums on
files. Until now I have always done these operations in the main thread.
Now I want to use the same code in a working thread to be able to update
GUI while computing the MD5.

The main thread will only update GUI and wait for the working thread to
end. I.e: the main thread will never access the openssl libs while the
working thread is alive. I figured that this scenario wouldn't need the
callback functions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My question is: Given the scenario above, is the following code
dangerous in a MT environment?

Simplified example:

FILE* file = fopen ("testfile", "rb");

EVP_MD_CTX mdctx;
unsigned char md_value[EVP_MAX_MD_SIZE];
unsigned int md_len;

OpenSSL_add_all_digests();

EVP_MD_CTX_init(&mdctx);
EVP_DigestInit_ex(&mdctx, EVP_md5 (), NULL);

char buffer[65536];

int bytesread;
while (bytesread = fread (buffer, 1, 65535, file)) {
EVP_DigestUpdate (&mdctx, buffer, bytesread);
}

fclose (file);

EVP_DigestFinal_ex(&mdctx, md_value, &md_len);
EVP_MD_CTX_cleanup(&mdctx);

Thanks for any help.

Magnus