>> I get the message unsupported methods from ssl_accept() bio_read. I
>> get this message from my server when I try to connect using openssl
>> s_client. Any suggestions?
>> Steve

> It is possible to implement STARTTLS with OpenSSL.
>
> This is where you connect your server on port 25 using unencrypted. Issue
> the "EHLO" and then "STARTTLS" commands.
>
> At the client CAREFULLY eat the response a byte at a time so you suck the
> response and the "\r\n" end-of-line.
>
> Then you initialize OpenSSL with the socket.
>

> It is possible and it does work.
>

> I have seen the mode in s_client I'm sure that works too.
>
> Maybe it would be easier to implement "smtps" on port 465. This is direct
> SSL on the socket (much like HTTPS on port 443), if you can successfully
> implement this and get it working then work on the more tricky STARTTLS
> support.
>
> You didn't really say a lot about your problem ?
>
> If your problem with "s_client" tool ?
>
> If your problem with your implementation of an SMTP server with STARTTLS
> support ?

The problem is with the SMTP server STARTTLS code. I know how to make the
entire transaction work with SSL. Problem is that the openssl s_client is
asking for some method I do not have programmed. But I don't know what that
is. I have examined sendmail and my openssl code seems correct. The
transaction fails when the client starts tlsmode and the ssl_accept() fails.

Steve