On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 03:02:33PM -0400, Jason Reeder wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to run the following openssl command on an AIX 5.1 box:
>
> openssl enc -a -rc2-ecb -pass pass:LGRORKYOABVCWBSXIZNNIZVHZ -in ned.log
> -out ned.enc
>
> The command just hangs and never returns anything. The command only hangs
> when run as certain users. With other users, it works as expected. This
> makes me believe it is a permissions issue. The problem is I don't know
> what permissions might be the problem since no error message is ever
> returned.
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this before?
>
> Anyone know of any debug that can be turned on to see what is causing
> openssl to hang?

truss/strace/ktrace/... are often the right tools to determine why
a process is stuck. The "user-specific" behaviour suggests that some
users are not able to read "/dev/random" or "/dev/urandom" to seed their
"$HOME/.rand" file, or don't have write permissions in their own home
directory, ...

--
Viktor.