question regarding ./config no-idea no-mdc2 no-rc5 - Openssl

This is a discussion on question regarding ./config no-idea no-mdc2 no-rc5 - Openssl ; Hi There, I am building a web service client application that uses openSSL for web service https/SSL communication. In order to avoid the patent issue for the portion of openSSL, I build the openSSL libraries myself using ./config no-idea no-mdc2 ...

  1. question regarding ./config no-idea no-mdc2 no-rc5

    Hi There,

    I am building a web service client application that uses openSSL for web service https/SSL communication. In order to avoid the patent issue for the portion of openSSL, I build the openSSL libraries myself using ./config no-idea no-mdc2 no-rc5. All is working fine as far as I am concerned, my client application can talk to web service server through https.

    Now my question is: What cypto algorithm is actually used in the https/SSL communication? What is really turned off by using no-idea no-mdc2 no-rc5? If these things are not needed, then why they are there?

    Thanks much!

    Ray

  2. Re: question regarding ./config no-idea no-mdc2 no-rc5

    OpenSSL is used just to provide low level crypto. function and for
    providing crypto. function for API's other than SSL.

    You don't need to turn off mdc2 now BTW, it was an IBM patent, but it's
    expired now.

    Peter

    From: Frank Zhou

    To: openssl-user@openssl.org