re: http://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-.../msg24270.html

I don't quite approve of the established openssl tradition of using
uninitialized memory for entropy, but I wanted to point out that if
you want to do that, and you want valgrind to understand that those
bits count as "valid" and should not trigger warnings when your
control flow branches based on those bits, or when you use those bits
are arguments to a system call, then you can just call
VALGRIND_MAKE_MEM_DEFINED_IF_ADDRESSABLE, as described in the
valgrind manual on this page: [1]. A nice explanation of what this
means in valgrind's elegant error detection scheme is on this page: [2].

I haven't tried this myself, but if it works as advertised then it
allows openssl to continue functioning the same way when in valgrind
mode, and completely suppresses the false alarms without suppressing
any other weirdness that might show up.

Regards,

Zooko

[1] http://valgrind.org/docs/manual/mc-m...ual.clientreqs