IPv6 support in OpenSSL - Openssl

This is a discussion on IPv6 support in OpenSSL - Openssl ; Hi, Please direct me to the right mailing list if this is not appropriate. I'm looking for information regarding IPv6 support in OpenSSL. Which is the first and stable version that adds support for IPv6 in OpenSSL ? TIA, Ravindra ...

  1. IPv6 support in OpenSSL

    Hi,

    Please direct me to the right mailing list if this is not appropriate.

    I'm looking for information regarding IPv6 support in OpenSSL.
    Which is the first and stable version that adds support for IPv6 in OpenSSL ?

    TIA,
    Ravindra

  2. Re: IPv6 support in OpenSSL

    Ravindra wrote:

    > I'm looking for information regarding IPv6 support in OpenSSL.
    > Which is the first and stable version that adds support for IPv6 in OpenSSL ?

    SSL operates atop TCP. Whether this supports IPv6 is left as an exercise
    for the reader.

    - M

    PS Does your web browser support IPv6? Does your monitor? How about
    your keyboard?

  3. Re: IPv6 support in OpenSSL

    I cannot find any reference to AF_INET6 in the sources, though I can
    find AF_INET. This means that IPv6 is not supported.

    Michael: software does need to support IPv6 in order to use it without
    going through a gateway of some kind. The reason is that nobody's
    figured out how to fit 128 bits of address data into the 32 bits
    allowed by IPv4. Your local manual pages can describe how to use IPv6
    in software -- the most useful of which is section 4, "ip6". Contrast
    this to section 4, "ip".

    -Kyle H

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Michael Sierchio wrote:
    > Ravindra wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for information regarding IPv6 support in OpenSSL.
    >> Which is the first and stable version that adds support for IPv6 in
    >> OpenSSL ?

    > SSL operates atop TCP. Whether this supports IPv6 is left as an exercise
    > for the reader.
    >
    > - M
    >
    > PS Does your web browser support IPv6? Does your monitor? How about
    > your keyboard?

  4. Re: IPv6 support in OpenSSL

    Also: My web browser does support IPv6. (kame.net shows the moving
    image.) My monitor and keyboard do not create socket connections, so
    they have no need to.

    -Kyle H

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Michael Sierchio wrote:
    > Ravindra wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for information regarding IPv6 support in OpenSSL.
    >> Which is the first and stable version that adds support for IPv6 in
    >> OpenSSL ?

    > SSL operates atop TCP. Whether this supports IPv6 is left as an exercise
    > for the reader.
    >
    > - M
    >
    > PS Does your web browser support IPv6? Does your monitor? How about
    > your keyboard?

  5. Re: IPv6 support in OpenSSL

    Kyle Hamilton a écrit :
    > I cannot find any reference to AF_INET6 in the sources, though I can
    > find AF_INET. This means that IPv6 is not supported.

    If you want to use the BIO API to communicate instead of the socket API,
    there
    is a problem with UDP and IPv6. See
    http://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-.../msg24282.html.

    Otherwise if you use the classic socket, you can easily have IPv6support
    it with OpenSSL (either with UDP or TCP) by
    declaring your socket, bind it to IPv6 address and then pass it to an
    SSL objects (SSL_set_fd, ...).

    Regards,
    --
    Sebastien Vincent

    > Michael: software does need to support IPv6 in order to use it without
    > going through a gateway of some kind. The reason is that nobody's
    > figured out how to fit 128 bits of address data into the 32 bits
    > allowed by IPv4. Your local manual pages can describe how to use IPv6
    > in software -- the most useful of which is section 4, "ip6". Contrast
    > this to section 4, "ip".
    >
    > -Kyle H
    >
    > On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Michael Sierchio wrote:
    >
    >> Ravindra wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm looking for information regarding IPv6 support in OpenSSL.
    >>> Which is the first and stable version that adds support for IPv6 in
    >>> OpenSSL ?
    >>>

    >> SSL operates atop TCP. Whether this supports IPv6 is left as an exercise
    >> for the reader.
    >>
    >> - M
    >>
    >> PS Does your web browser support IPv6? Does your monitor? How about
    >> your keyboard?

    Sébastien Vincent
    Network Engineer at University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg
    Phone : +33 390244586
    Address : LSIIT - Boulevard Sébastien Brant BP 10413
    67412 Illkirch CEDEX France

  6. Re: IPv6 support in OpenSSL

    Kyle Hamilton wrote:
    > I cannot find any reference to AF_INET6 in the sources, though I can
    > find AF_INET. This means that IPv6 is not supported.

    Surely that depends on the files where you found matches.

    I would suspect most of the code with AF_INET is test or demonstration
    code not the actual library.

    So sure it maybe possible to claim "openssl.exe" the utility tool does
    not support IPV6 in all the features that support IPV4 however the main
    event libssl.so/libcrypto.so might not reference AF_xxxx since it works
    on already open socket handles (with no regard for the specific
    transport mechanism).

    Darryl

  7. Re: IPv6 support in OpenSSL

    openssl-0.9.8h/apps/s_socket.c - 12 lines
    openssl-0.9.8h/crypto/bio/b_sock.c - 5 lines
    openssl-0.9.8h/crypto/bio/bio_err.c - 1 line (error state
    BIO_R_GETHOSTBYNAME_ADDR_IS_NOT_AF_INET)
    openssl-0.9.8h/crypto/bio/bss_conn.c - 2 lines
    openssl-0.9.8h/demos/easy_tls/test.c - 3 lines
    openssl-0.9.8h/demos/state_machine/state_machine.c - 2 lines
    openssl-0.9.8h/demos/tunala/ip.c - 2 lines

    The BIO library is what I was referring to, primarily, that
    specifically supports AF_INET.

    Yes, you can use SSL_set_fd() to associate a TCP6 handle (which can be
    written to with write() and read from with read()) to an SSL
    connection. The housekeeping work is up to you as the client of the
    library, though, not something that can be left to the library.

    -Kyle H