SSL_connect failure when switching from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8 - Openssl

This is a discussion on SSL_connect failure when switching from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8 - Openssl ; Hi everybody, I'm working a project that uses OpenSSL to securely communicate between server and client. So far the project has been using OpenSSL version 0.9.7l but last week we decided to switch to 0.9.8.f. Our code compiled against the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: SSL_connect failure when switching from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8

  1. SSL_connect failure when switching from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8

    Hi everybody,

    I'm working a project that uses OpenSSL to securely communicate
    between server and client. So far the project has been using OpenSSL
    version 0.9.7l but last week we decided to switch to 0.9.8.f. Our code
    compiled against the new version just fine but now it no
    longer works properly. The client code tries to connect to the server
    and gets an error returned by SSL_connect(). The error is
    SSL_ERROR_SSL so its a protocol related problem.

    Has anybody had a similar experience when switching to 0.9.8? The code
    worked just fine before with 0.9.7 and it also successfully
    compiled against the new version with no errors so I expected
    everything to work.

    I know the underlying connection works fine, including BIO because I
    tested it with a few reads/writes.
    Can anybody point me in the right direction? Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Alen
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    OpenSSL Project http://www.openssl.org
    User Support Mailing List openssl-users@openssl.org
    Automated List Manager majordomo@openssl.org


  2. Re: SSL_connect failure when switching from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8

    In my experience, openssl releases routinely break compatibility.
    This occurs for letter as well as number changes.

    Compiling against the new version is not enough. You must
    link with the same version. Dynamic linking offers a
    third possibility for inconsistency.

    The symptom I typically see is that almost everything works,
    but some function call will crash the program.

    owner-openssl-users@openssl.org wrote on 07/24/2008 06:08:40 PM:

    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I'm working a project that uses OpenSSL to securely communicate
    > between server and client. So far the project has been using OpenSSL
    > version 0.9.7l but last week we decided to switch to 0.9.8.f. Our code
    > compiled against the new version just fine but now it no
    > longer works properly. The client code tries to connect to the server
    > and gets an error returned by SSL_connect(). The error is
    > SSL_ERROR_SSL so its a protocol related problem.
    >
    > Has anybody had a similar experience when switching to 0.9.8? The code
    > worked just fine before with 0.9.7 and it also successfully
    > compiled against the new version with no errors so I expected
    > everything to work.
    >
    > I know the underlying connection works fine, including BIO because I
    > tested it with a few reads/writes.
    > Can anybody point me in the right direction? Any help is greatly

    appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Alen
    > __________________________________________________ ____________________
    > OpenSSL Project http://www.openssl.org
    > User Support Mailing List openssl-users@openssl.org
    > Automated List Manager majordomo@openssl.org

    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    OpenSSL Project http://www.openssl.org
    User Support Mailing List openssl-users@openssl.org
    Automated List Manager majordomo@openssl.org


  3. Re: SSL_connect failure when switching from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8

    On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 09:39:04AM -0400, Kenneth Goldman wrote:

    > In my experience, openssl releases routinely break compatibility.
    > This occurs for letter as well as number changes.
    >
    > Compiling against the new version is not enough. You must
    > link with the same version. Dynamic linking offers a
    > third possibility for inconsistency.
    >
    > The symptom I typically see is that almost everything works,
    > but some function call will crash the program.


    This is too harsh. While release-engineering accidents happen, the
    goal is that "letter" patch releases are binary compatible, and if
    incompatibilities are discovered, they are promptly fixed.

    --
    Viktor.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    OpenSSL Project http://www.openssl.org
    User Support Mailing List openssl-users@openssl.org
    Automated List Manager majordomo@openssl.org


+ Reply to Thread