Thank a lot for the feedback. I will give it a shot.

Kindest regards,

JLP

Hm, this should be possible straight out of the box, by feeding the
input to s_client through redirection so you'd get an EOF on stdin in
there once the line is fetched. What I mean is this: run

echo "line to be sent to server" | s_client -host example/com -port 443

and the server's response should appear on stdout, while the OpenSSL
s_client app will terminate once that initial line is sent and the
server has sent a response and closed the connection.
(s_client can also be compiled as a separate binary)

Haven't tested this recently but I seem to recall that worked for me once.

Just make sure your command doesn't start with a capital 'Q'. ;-)