An SSLv3 certificate is an X.509v3 certificate that conforms to
certain requirements.

Since SSLv3 is not actually an internet standard, I would suggest
looking at TLSv1 and TLSv1.1 (the latter of which is not yet supported
by openssl, to my knowledge).

That said, the PKI howtos at carillon.com are fairly decent.

-Kyle H