openssl progress on key creation ? - Openssl

This is a discussion on openssl progress on key creation ? - Openssl ; HI Doe's anybody knows how to see progress of key creation (openssl), there is a bunch of dot's (.......) but what does those means ? Thanks. p.s generating a 102400 bit key for one week now, would like to know ...

  1. openssl progress on key creation ?

    HI

    Doe's anybody knows how to see progress of key creation (openssl), there is
    a bunch of dot's (.......) but what does those means ?

    Thanks.

    p.s generating a 102400 bit key for one week now, would like to know how
    much it is left.

  2. Re: openssl progress on key creation ?

    From the 'genrsa' manpage:

    NOTES
    RSA private key generation essentially involves the generation of two
    prime numbers. When generating a private key various symbols will be
    output to indicate the progress of the generation. A . represents each
    number which has passed an initial sieve test, + means a number has
    passed a single round of the Miller-Rabin primality test. A newline
    means that the number has passed all the prime tests (the actual number
    depends on the key size).

    Because key generation is a random process the time taken to generate a
    key may vary somewhat.

    -Kyle H

    On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:49 PM, zubziro wrote:

    > HI
    >
    > Doe's anybody knows how to see progress of key creation (openssl), there is
    > a bunch of dot's (.......) but what does those means ?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > p.s generating a 102400 bit key for one week now, would like to know how
    > much it is left.
    > --

  3. Re: openssl progress on key creation ?

    Like Kyle said, the process is probabilistic in nature, but this page
    actually contains a table that suggests the average time taken.
    http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/4004

    Results might vary largely depending on your computer specs, but the ratio
    of the times taken should be about the same. It will be interesting to see
    what the time turns out be when we extrapolate the graph for your 102400 bit
    key depending on the average time complexity for creating the RSA key.

    Now, if only someone can point me to the average time complexity for this...

    Vijay K.