Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms - Openssl

This is a discussion on Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms - Openssl ; Dear Developers, I have openssl dlls(i.e.libeay32.dll, ssleay32.dll). I need to know if these libraries are using any of the patented algorithms like IDEA, RC4, RC5,MDC2 etc.Dependency walker helped me but I want to know if there is any other way. ...

  1. Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms

    Dear Developers,

    I have openssl dlls(i.e.libeay32.dll, ssleay32.dll). I need to know if these
    libraries are using any of the patented algorithms like IDEA, RC4, RC5,MDC2
    etc.Dependency walker helped me but I want to know if there is any other
    way.

    Is there any binary distribution where I can find SSL dlls without patented
    algorithms like IDEA,MCD2,RC4,RC5 etc. I tried compiling
    without them. I could exclude other algos but not RC4. Some linking issues
    are there.
    So I need to know if there is any ssl release without the patented
    algorithms.

    Any help would be highly appreciated.

    Thanks in adavance,
    Bagavathy

  2. Re: Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms

    On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 01:44:42PM +0530, bagavathy raj wrote:

    > I have openssl dlls(i.e.libeay32.dll, ssleay32.dll). I need to know if these
    > libraries are using any of the patented algorithms like IDEA, RC4, RC5,MDC2
    > etc.Dependency walker helped me but I want to know if there is any other
    > way.
    >
    > Is there any binary distribution where I can find SSL dlls without patented
    > algorithms like IDEA,MCD2,RC4,RC5 etc. I tried compiling
    > without them. I could exclude other algos but not RC4. Some linking issues
    > are there.
    > So I need to know if there is any ssl release without the patented
    > algorithms.

    Please note, for MCD-2 and RC4:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDC-2#Patent_issues

    http://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-.../msg53265.html

    Note also that usually it's not enough just to say "no patents"; do
    you care about technology that is patented, but one for which the
    patent is available in the public domain (e.g., such as was the case
    with DES), or code licensed under a certain license (such as the case
    with the RCU patent in the kernel), or if the code is used to
    implement a certain protocol (as is the case with various patent
    pledges out there)? It's rare that someone really means "no patents
    whatsoever."

    - Ted

  3. Re: Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms

    FWIW. The patent on MDC2 has expired.

    Peter

    From: Theodore Tso

    To: openssl-dev@openssl.org

    Date: 18/06/2008 20:29

    Subject: Re: Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms

    On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 01:44:42PM +0530, bagavathy raj wrote:

    > I have openssl dlls(i.e.libeay32.dll, ssleay32.dll). I need to know if

    these
    > libraries are using any of the patented algorithms like IDEA, RC4,

    RC5,MDC2
    > etc.Dependency walker helped me but I want to know if there is any other
    > way.
    >
    > Is there any binary distribution where I can find SSL dlls without

    patented
    > algorithms like IDEA,MCD2,RC4,RC5 etc. I tried compiling
    > without them. I could exclude other algos but not RC4. Some linking

    issues
    > are there.
    > So I need to know if there is any ssl release without the patented
    > algorithms.

    Please note, for MCD-2 and RC4:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDC-2#Patent_issues

    http://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-.../msg53265.html

    Note also that usually it's not enough just to say "no patents"; do
    you care about technology that is patented, but one for which the
    patent is available in the public domain (e.g., such as was the case
    with DES), or code licensed under a certain license (such as the case
    with the RCU patent in the kernel), or if the code is used to
    implement a certain protocol (as is the case with various patent
    pledges out there)? It's rare that someone really means "no patents
    whatsoever."

    -
    Ted