Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms - Openssl

This is a discussion on Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms - Openssl ; Hi, I have openssl dlls(i.e.libeay32.dll, ssleay32.dll). I need to know if these libaries are using any of the patented algorithms like IDEA, RC4, RC5,MDC2 etc. Can you please let me know if there is any way to find out this? ...

  1. Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms

    Hi,

    I have openssl dlls(i.e.libeay32.dll, ssleay32.dll). I need to know if these
    libaries are using any of the patented algorithms like IDEA, RC4, RC5,MDC2
    etc. Can you please let me know if there is any way to find out this?
    Any help would be highly appreciated.

    Thanks in adavance,
    Bagavathy

  2. Re: Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms

    Hi,

    Use the tool Dependency Walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) to look
    at the exported functions of libeay32.dll. If it exports RC5, you will see
    exported symbols starting with RC5. For MDC2, you'll find symbols starting
    with MDC2 and etc...

    Cheers,
    --
    Mounir IDRASSI
    IDRIX

    On Mon, June 16, 2008 3:55 pm, bagavathy raj wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have openssl dlls(i.e.libeay32.dll, ssleay32.dll). I need to know if
    > these
    > libaries are using any of the patented algorithms like IDEA, RC4, RC5,MDC2
    > etc. Can you please let me know if there is any way to find out this?
    > Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in adavance,
    > Bagavathy

  3. Re: Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms

    Hi,
    Is there any binary distribution where I can find SSL dlls without
    patented algorithms like IDEA,MCD2,RC4,RC5 etc. I tried compiling
    without them. I could exclude other algos but not RC4. Some linking
    issues. So i need to know if there is any ssl release without the
    patented algorithms.

    On 6/16/08, Mounir IDRASSI wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Use the tool Dependency Walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) to look
    > at the exported functions of libeay32.dll. If it exports RC5, you will see
    > exported symbols starting with RC5. For MDC2, you'll find symbols starting
    > with MDC2 and etc...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Mounir IDRASSI
    > IDRIX
    > http://www.idrix.fr
    >
    > On Mon, June 16, 2008 3:55 pm, bagavathy raj wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have openssl dlls(i.e.libeay32.dll, ssleay32.dll). I need to know if
    >> these
    >> libaries are using any of the patented algorithms like IDEA, RC4, RC5,MDC2
    >> etc. Can you please let me know if there is any way to find out this?
    >> Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks in adavance,
    >> Bagavathy

  4. Re: Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms

    On 6/16/08, bagavathy raj wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Is there any binary distribution where I can find SSL dlls without
    > patented algorithms like IDEA,MCD2,RC4,RC5 etc. I tried compiling
    > without them. I could exclude other algos but not RC4. Some linking
    > issues. So i need to know if there is any ssl release without the
    > patented algorithms.

    RC4 is owned (and trademarked) by RSA Security Inc, but they are no
    longer enforcing the patent, and will allow free usage of the OpenSSL
    implementation of this cipher to those that ask. However they do
    require that OpenSSL toolkit users either do not call it RC4, or call
    it "Alleged RC4 cipher" to avoid trademark infringement. If you even
    mention the words RC4 in your documentation you may need to mention
    that it is "Alleged" and that RC4 is a trademark of RSA Security.
    RC2 is also a trademark of RSA Security, but this one can be used
    without the "Alleged" prefix, providing you list them as the trademark
    owner.

    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and I suggest you contact RSA directly
    to confirm this information on your own.

    -Chris

  5. Re: Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms

    > RC4 is owned (and trademarked) by RSA Security Inc, but they are no
    > longer enforcing the patent,

    RC4 was never protected by patent, but by trade secret. When the
    details of the algorithm were published, Ron Rivest himself suggested
    calling the "alleged RC4" "ARCFOUR". It is indeed a trademark of RSA
    Security.

  6. Re: Please help: very urgent: Query on patented algorithms

    At 01:20 PM 6/16/2008, Michael Sierchio wrote:

    >>RC4 is owned (and trademarked) by RSA Security Inc, but they are no
    >>longer enforcing the patent,

    >RC4 was never protected by patent, but by trade secret. When the
    >details of the algorithm were published, Ron Rivest himself suggested
    >calling the "alleged RC4" "ARCFOUR". It is indeed a trademark of RSA
    >Security.

    Michael is right. No patent. RSA subsequently switched to patent
    protection for RC5 and RC5. Some ancient history might offer context.

    RC4, developed by Rivest in 1987, was originally sold, under
    contractual constraints, as a proprietary RSA trade secret -- a mode
    of IP protection which soon proved to be frail and toothless in
    Cyberspace, where anonymous publication on the Net broke the trade
    secret contract but allowed the perpetrator to escape all liability.

    RSADSI initially filed for US trademark protection on RC4 in 1993,
    and the trademark -- as a mark of origin, a "mark" that identified
    the source of the distributed code -- became the last line defense
    for the RC4 IP when the RC4 algorithm was reverse engineered and
    published on the Cypherpunks List in September of 1994.

    In a swirl of ironies, this was a critical event in public crypto
    history, because the illicit publication of RC4 made it possible for
    non-US developers to do their own versions of SSL. SSLea, ancestor
    of OpenSSL, soon broke the NSA's restrictive policies on the
    international use of strong-crypto SSL for browsers and web-based
    transactions. Many versions of alleged RC4 (ARC4 or ArcFour) were
    soon in widespread use, even in IETF standards. Anyone can code or
    use ACR4, but EMC/RSA still defends its monopoly on the RC4 trademark
    because undefended trademarks become invalid.

    _Vin