Developing application with OpenSSL support - Openssl

This is a discussion on Developing application with OpenSSL support - Openssl ; Hello list This is my first post on the list, am new to OpenSSL and need a simple guidance to begin programming. I'm C++ programmer and require to implement SSL support to a very simple program, just need to send ...

  1. Developing application with OpenSSL support

    Hello list

    This is my first post on the list, am new to OpenSSL and need a simple
    guidance to begin programming. I'm C++ programmer and require to implement
    SSL support to a very simple program, just need to send a small FORM POST
    via https and receive back 6 lines of text. I have already a working code
    to post via simple http but now require to do the same using ssl.

    As you can see it is very simple but have no idea where to start, the
    first thing I did was to see the openssl package from my linux
    distribution to find some documentation but just found libraries and
    header files, so tried openssl.org and I'm here now.

    Would anybody tell me where to start or what documentation or tutorial
    would help me? just need to understand the concept so I can jump to the
    use of ssl functions and implement what I need. Any suggestion?

    Thanks for any comment

  2. Re: Developing application with OpenSSL support

    I think you just configure your webserver with https support and
    then use that secure protocol for communication.

    --
    Keith Hellman #include
    khellman@mcprogramming.com from disclaimer import standard

    "The First Python function ever written (takes place in the Garden of Eden)"

    Guido sayeth "I will write def foo():"
    "Hmm, I could use an import, or two",
    Satan said, in a whirl, "Why not write it in Perl?",
    and the second function ever written - def foo_you():

    -- Python Limmerick Contest submission by cappy2112
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...780beaff2e88a/

  3. Re: Developing application with OpenSSL support

    On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 09:18:11PM -0700, development@sorcerynet.org wrote:

    > This is my first post on the list, am new to OpenSSL and need a simple
    > guidance to begin programming. I'm C++ programmer and require to implement
    > SSL support to a very simple program, just need to send a small FORM POST
    > via https and receive back 6 lines of text. I have already a working code
    > to post via simple http but now require to do the same using ssl.
    >
    > As you can see it is very simple but have no idea where to start, the
    > first thing I did was to see the openssl package from my linux
    > distribution to find some documentation but just found libraries and
    > header files, so tried openssl.org and I'm here now.
    >
    > Would anybody tell me where to start or what documentation or tutorial
    > would help me? just need to understand the concept so I can jump to the
    > use of ssl functions and implement what I need. Any suggestion?

    Consider "stunnel". Naive, ground-up implementations of SSL/TLS often
    accidentally fail to do the job securely. Use an SSL proxy to connect your
    non-SSL code to an SSL webserver (provided your execution environment
    can restrict access to the proxy, if "stunnel" unix-domain sockets for
    the local end-point, file permissions on that is a reasonable approach
    on multi-user systems).

    Perhaps there are C++ class libraries that offer a high-level HTTPS
    connection primitive (and reasonably robust/flexible server certificate
    verification interface).

    --
    Viktor.

  4. Re: Developing application with OpenSSL support

    Hi

    I need to implement SSL over a TCP connection for one of my programs, not
    in the server. Just download a tutorial and am implemented the most basic
    functions to create the CTX, SSL, connect and read/write data, but still
    don't understand too much how to use certificates, will test the code I
    did and if it works will go on with more stuff.

    Regards

    > I think you just configure your webserver with https support and
    > then use that secure protocol for communication.
    >
    > --
    > Keith Hellman #include
    > khellman@mcprogramming.com from disclaimer import standard
    > khellman@mines.edu
    > -*-
    > public key @ pgp.mit.edu 9FCF40FD
    > Y!M: mcprogramming AIM/ICQ: 485403897
    > gtalk: jabber@mcprogramming.com
    > -*-
    >
    > "The First Python function ever written (takes place in the Garden of
    > Eden)"
    >
    > Guido sayeth "I will write def foo():"
    > "Hmm, I could use an import, or two",
    > Satan said, in a whirl, "Why not write it in Perl?",
    > and the second function ever written - def foo_you():
    >
    > -- Python Limmerick Contest submission by cappy2112
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...780beaff2e88a/

  5. Re: Developing application with OpenSSL support

    Hi

    Just got a tutorial and started to write some basic code, will test
    tomorrow and if it works then will continue with certificates but don't
    understand too much.

    I have implemented the urgent code in PHP and it is working, but still
    want to do it in C++ with my own program, have tested it right now and
    connects without problems, tomorrow will try I/O through the SSL and if it
    works will see how to manage the certificates that are not too clear by
    now, but hope to understand soon.

    Thanks for your help