Library used for I/O operation - Openssl

This is a discussion on Library used for I/O operation - Openssl ; Hi, I'm trying to test some algorithm with openssl comman line and oprofile. Then, to separate the time used for the real cryptographic operation from the time used for I/O operation, I need to know which library is used to ...

  1. Library used for I/O operation

    Hi,
    I'm trying to test some algorithm with openssl comman line and oprofile.
    Then, to separate the time used for the real cryptographic operation from
    the time used for I/O operation, I need to know which library is used to
    read a file.
    The library can see are used in the execution of a command are the following

    libcrypto.so.0.9.8
    ld-2.7.so
    libc-2.7.so
    openssl
    libssl.so.0.9.8
    libdl-2.7.so
    libz.so.1.2.3.3

    Can anybody tell me which is used for I/O operation on file?

    Bye
    Silvia

  2. Re: Library used for I/O operation

    On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Silvia wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to test some algorithm with openssl comman line and oprofile.
    > Then, to separate the time used for the real cryptographic operation from
    > the time used for I/O operation, I need to know which library is used to
    > read a file.
    > The library can see are used in the execution of a command are the following

    [...]
    > libc-2.7.so

    The short answer is: 'libc' (which provides the basic file I/O
    operations used by the BIO part of the OpenSSL library).

    However, this is not 'exact', depending on where you consider the
    boundary between 'cryptographic operation' and 'file I/O' to be. I
    might argue that both (1) any OpenSSL BIO API calls which do not
    include cryptographic operations, and (2) any BIO operations _below_
    the crypto layer, used to load and save the bits off disk or socket,
    should not be considered part of the cryptographic effort, but rather
    generic I/O - using sockets, files, etc. Given such a world view, when
    limited to metrics per library instead of per-function-call, I would
    say libcrypto does all the crypto work and anything else is either
    protocol (SSL is part crypto + part protocol: libssl) and misc I/O,
    etc..

    Conclusion: make sure you define what you consider your 'boundary'
    between those two building blocks (crypto and 'all the rest') to be if
    you want to compare numbers.

    That's the long answer ;-)

    Ger Hobbelt