* Wockenfu=DF, Frank wrote on Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:07 +0200:
> Thank you for that hint.
> I will try to rebuild the class as singleton. This could help,
> but isn't really nice.

I think you'd need multiple classes. For things done once a
program life time, a C++ class (singleton) may not be suited, a
simple ordinary init function may be sufficient. However, such an
instance could make sense for instance if used on stack around
main in something like this:

int main()
{
OpenSSLAllEverything allocation;
return main_();
}

to ensure that it is released exactly once even in case of
exceptions. Maybe the class assert()s that it is constructed only
once to help application developers to find usage problems
quickly.

I think it is essential and required to call RAND_seed once and
only once. Functions like X509_verify_cert may be desired as
X509Certificat::verify().

> > Doing it per-object creation is unnecessary and error prone=20
> > (as maybe the case here). I believe it should be possible to=20
> > do it once per program lifetime without changing your C++=20
> > class too much.

Maybe having a static instance counter, so resources could be
freed if the last instance is destroyed? But to much automagic
handling may not be good; imagine, this would be linked with a
similar class that also has its own instance counter...

oki,

Steffen
=20
About Ingenico Throughout the world businesses rely on Ingenico for =
secure and expedient electronic transaction acceptance. Ingenico =
products leverage proven technology, established standards and =
unparalleled ergonomics to provide optimal reliability, versatility and =
usability. This comprehensive range of products is complemented by a =
global array of services and partnerships, enabling businesses in a =
number of vertical sectors to accept transactions anywhere their =
business takes them.
www.ingenico.com This message may contain confidential and/or privileged =
information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this =
for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action =
based on this message or any information herein. If you have received =
this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply =
e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.