"make install" created .../openssl.0.9.8g/include as 744. That means that other
non-root build efforts will fail because they can't read the openssl header
files. What is worse is that the resulting errors from make may be somewhat
misleading. I ran in to this trying to build Apache 2.2.8 with --enable-ssl
and --with-ssl=/... and it took me a good while to figure out the problem.

Suggestion: openssl "make install" should create .../openssl.0.9.8g/include
with 755 permissions instead of 744 (might be umask related?). Will the
openssl developers pick up on this posting to this list?

I hope this helps someone else.