Longhorn client vs openssl s_server failing - Openssl

This is a discussion on Longhorn client vs openssl s_server failing - Openssl ; Hello, I have a .NET SSL client on Windows 2008 set to negotiate SSL/TLS trying to talk to openssl s_server (0.9.8-stable-SNAP-20080328) > openssl s_server -cert ~/User1-SC.VC.11 -ssl3 -bugs -state -debug -www And I can't get the handshake to succeed. When ...

  1. Longhorn client vs openssl s_server failing

    Hello,

    I have a .NET SSL client on Windows 2008 set to negotiate SSL/TLS
    trying to talk to openssl s_server (0.9.8-stable-SNAP-20080328)

    > openssl s_server -cert ~/User1-SC.VC.11 -ssl3 -bugs -state -debug -www

    And I can't get the handshake to succeed. When the s_server is set to -
    tls1, then it works, but I need it to succeed for both TLS and SSL
    only servers on 2008.

    Client throws an exception saying: "The client and server cannot
    communicate because they do not posess a common algorithm". Wireshark
    shows that Client Hello, Server Hello (SSLv3) and Certificate+Server
    Hello Done (SSLv3) has been sent before the connection closed. Server
    selected ciphersuite is TLS_RSA_WITH_AES

    This problem also doesn't occur when the client runs on older Windows
    (XP).

    Has anyone come across similar problem? The one difference between
    clients running XP and 2008 I noticed was, that the 2008 sends TLS
    extensions in the Client Hello message. Might this be the cause of
    failure?

    Many Thanks,
    Przemek

  2. Re: Longhorn client vs openssl s_server failing

    If anyone is interested - the cause is OpenSSL bug which allows the
    SSL-only server to select AES ciphersuite.
    AES is only allowed over TLS.

+ Reply to Thread