Urjit Gokhale wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I would like to know your view on "Would the performance impact for
> transmitting 'X' bytes of unencrypted data over SSLized channel be
> almost same irrespective of the number of SSL_* calls" ?
> Consider I am using a buffer of size 'buf_size' for SSL_read/write
> (SSL_read(ssl_obj,buf,buf_size) ):
> If buf_size < 'X' I would require more number of SSL_reads/writes.
> If buf_size > 'X' a single SSL_read/write should suffice.
> So would the performance hit for end to end transmission of this 'X'
> bytes of data be the same in the cases mentioned above?
> I am assuming ideal network (no network latency etc) and 'X' is not big
> enough to fill kernel buffers on either side.
> ~ Urjit

My view; it has a similar performance impact as if you'd sent X bytes
over TCP with TCP_NODELAY set each time only sending Y bytes, where X is
pretty big and Y is a small number (Y corresponds to your buf_size above).

I don't remember SSL having an option to make it wait for a certain
buffer size before sending it down to the network (some trick in the
BIO? maybe someone can correct me).

Real computer scientists don't comment their code. The identifiers are
so long they can't afford the disk space.