> I'm building 0.9.9 from the latest SNAP and have been successful with
> openssl (the app) but no joy with building .dylib files on MacOSX. The
> linker fails with:
> ld: absolute addressing (perhaps -mdynamic-no-pic) used in
> _OPENSSL_rdtsc from libcrypto.a(x86cpuid.o) not allowed in
> slidable image
>
> For the record, I'm running OSX 10.5.2, gcc 4.0.1, on an Intel miniMac.
> My build commands are:
> ./config --prefix=/usr/local --openssldir=/usr/local/openssl
> make
> make test
> make libcrypto.0.9.9.dylib

This is not supported way of creating shared libraries, './config shared
....' is! If configured with shared option assembler modules come out
position-independent and .dylib is linked successfully. One can argue
that MacOS X assembler modules should be generated position-independent
unconditionally (in line with vendor compiler default), but assembler is
not the only reason to configure with shared option.

> Also, I can't find a *global* switch to disable the assembly modules.
> Suggestions?

Examine accompanying ./INSTALL file perhaps. A.