>> I'm building 0.9.9 from the latest SNAP and have been successful with
>> openssl (the app) but no joy with building .dylib files on MacOSX.
>> The linker fails with:
>> ld: absolute addressing (perhaps -mdynamic-no-pic) used in
>> _OPENSSL_rdtsc from libcrypto.a(x86cpuid.o) not allowed in
>> slidable image
>>
>> Playing with it I find the perl asm functions with "EXTRN
>> \t_OPENSSL_ia32cap_PWORD" are problematic. Unfortunately I don't
>> have the skills to dive deeper and fix it. Perhaps this message can
>> be forwarded to the right person?
>>
>> For the record, I'm running OSX 10.5.2, gcc 4.0.1, on an Intel
>> miniMac. My build commands are:
>> ./config --prefix=/usr/local --openssldir=/usr/local/openssl
>> make
>> make test
>> make libcrypto.0.9.9.dylib
>>
>> Also, I can't find a *global* switch to disable the assembly modules.
>> Suggestions?

> Maybe using Apple's approach? In 0.9.7l, they appear to build
> the .dylib
> files from the .a files (the shlibs target below).
>
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/darw....2/OpenSSL-46/
> Makefile
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/darw...nSSL-46.tar.gz

Thanks. Unfortunately the darwin version is 0.9.7, and it doesn't
seem to hold any special secrets. The use of the .a files is how
0.9.9 and 0.9.8 do it as well. And... I have been successful building
all versions of 0.9.8 including the dylibs using the vanilla Makefile
provided with OpenSSL. It is only 0.9.9 that is problematic.

Not mentioned previously and for the record, I also tried:
make build_libs
make build-shared
make link-shared
make build_crypto
make libcrypto.0.9.9.dylib
make libssl.0.9.9.dylib

The problem has to do with the linker not finding position independent
code and while -fPIC is the default, explicitly expressing -fPIC
didn't change anything.

I traced it down to the assembly code in the x86-specific asm
acceleration modules. ...those functions containing
"OPENSSL_ia32cap_P". I'm unable to get to the root cause, but when I
disable each offending function in turn, the link progresses further
before it burps. To help "prove" my point a global switch to disable
all the asm accelerations would be nice but I don't see one.

I'm still open to suggestions.

Larry