Re: Questions about FIPS compliant openssl - Openssl

This is a discussion on Re: Questions about FIPS compliant openssl - Openssl ; Ed Tred wrote: > Hello, > > I am confused about what I need to do to get a FIPS compliant openssl > installation. Do I just build an openssl distribution from > openssl-0.9.7m .tar.gz or later, with ./config fips ...

  1. Re: Questions about FIPS compliant openssl

    Ed Tred wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am confused about what I need to do to get a FIPS compliant openssl
    > installation. Do I just build an openssl distribution from
    > openssl-0.9.7m .tar.gz or later, with ./config fips --OR do I have to
    > ALSO build openssl-fips-1.1.2.tar.gz ? WHERE IS THE HOWTO?!?!

    Please see http://www.openssl.org/docs/fips/UserGuide-1.1.1.pdf.

    Note this document still references v1.1.1 because no changes were
    necessary for v1.1.2 which is just the former with a small patch applied.

    -Steve M.

    --
    Steve Marquess
    Open Source Software Institute

  2. Re: Questions about FIPS compliant openssl

    Yes, I already read the "user guide". But as is typical, it is written
    from the perspective of an openssl developer. I am just an admin who
    wants to get up and going with a FIPS complaint openssl.... would it
    be so hard to state in plan english the step by steps?!?!? Why go
    through all the trouble to develop a project and then not go the extra
    2 inches and tell me how to use it!?!?!

    Again, do you have to install openssl 0.9.7m or later first? Then the
    openssl-fips? what are the step by steps?

    Ed