site encryption - Openssl

This is a discussion on site encryption - Openssl ; This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C85F49.90F64890 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi there I am trying to integrate a paypal shopping cart into my site and paypal recommend getting a security certificate from your website. Their site ...

  1. site encryption

    ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C85F49.90F64890

    Hi there

    I am trying to integrate a paypal shopping cart into my site and paypal
    recommend getting a security certificate from your website. Their site tells
    users to find the WIN32 section of your site to get the source for the
    certificate but I cant find that section anywhere. Eg: If you are using
    Windows, make sure to download the Win32 version of OpenSSL. Once you have
    downloaded OpenSSL and added it to your PATH.

    Also I am confused about the line "adding it your PATH". Can anyone advise
    me about all this please ?

    Many thanks

    Christine

    ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C85F49.90F64890

    =3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" xmlns:w=3D"urn:sc=
    hemas-microsoft-comffice:word" xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

    0.0pt;
    font-family:Arial'>Hi there>>

    0.0pt;
    font-family:Arial'>>

    0.0pt;
    font-family:Arial'>I am trying to integrate a paypal shopping cart into my =
    site
    and paypal recommend getting a security certificate from your website. Thei=
    r site
    tells users to find the WIN32 section of your site to get the source for th=
    e certificate
    but I cant find that section anywhere.  Eg: If you are using Windows, =
    make
    sure to download the Win32 version of OpenSSL. Once you have downloaded Ope=
    nSSL
    and added it to your PATH.>>

    0.0pt;
    font-family:Arial'>Also I am confused about the line “adding it your =
    PATH”.
    Can anyone advise me about all this please ?>>

    0.0pt;
    font-family:Arial'>>

    0.0pt;
    font-family:Arial'>Many thanks>>

    0.0pt;
    font-family:Arial'>Christine

    ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C85F49.90F64890--

  2. Re: site encryption

    Christine,

    I think I understand what you are trying to do. "OpenSSL" (note the
    capital letters) is a big development project, and as a part of that
    project there is a command line tool called "openssl" (note that this
    name is all lower case). You can download that tool from various
    places, and use it to generate a certificate. On the Microsoft
    Windows platform, openssl will be called "openssl.exe". You will save
    it somewhere on your hard drive. You then open up one of those black
    rectangular boxes on your PC desktop called a "Command Prompt". At
    that point you are ready to use the openssl command line tool. You
    will give commands like you see on :

    http://www.paypaldeveloper.com/pdn/b...d=3&format=one

    in the section "How to Generate Your Own Certificate". As an
    alternative to setting the PATH, in the Command Prompt window, you can
    simply change directory to the folder where you saved openssl.exe,
    before you run these commands. If what I have said does not make
    sense to you then you should find some computer savvy person to do it
    for you. It's not hard, but a lot to explain here....

    As for whether this is on topic, I think that it is fair enough.
    Christine is making an honest attempt to use openssl. Best,

    Mike Nelson

    On Jan 28, 10:07*am, jooni...@optusnet.com.au ("Christine Berry")
    wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > I am trying to integrate a paypal shopping cart into my site and paypal
    > recommend getting a security certificate from your website. Their site tells
    > users to find the WIN32 section of your site to get the source for the
    > certificate but I cant find that section anywhere. *Eg: If you are using
    > Windows, make sure to download the Win32 version of OpenSSL. Once you have
    > downloaded OpenSSL and added it to your PATH.
    >
    > Also I am confused about the line "adding it your PATH". *Can anyone advise
    > me about all this please ?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Christine

+ Reply to Thread