[openssl.org #1635] openssl configure tries to force 64-bit mode in 32-bit chroot. (x86) fails to compile - Openssl

This is a discussion on [openssl.org #1635] openssl configure tries to force 64-bit mode in 32-bit chroot. (x86) fails to compile - Openssl ; > [eekee57@fastmail.fm - Sat Jan 26 22:21:55 2008]: > > I'm running a 32-bit chroot on an x86_64 machine. That is, the kernel > can execute > 64 and 32 bit binaries, but everything has been compiled with -m32 > ...

  1. [openssl.org #1635] openssl configure tries to force 64-bit mode in 32-bit chroot. (x86) fails to compile

    > [eekee57@fastmail.fm - Sat Jan 26 22:21:55 2008]:
    >
    > I'm running a 32-bit chroot on an x86_64 machine. That is, the kernel
    > can execute
    > 64 and 32 bit binaries, but everything has been compiled with -m32
    > within the chroot. All the installed packages including gcc and
    > glibc have just been recompiled with -m32 with the compilation done
    > within the chroot. (They were formerly compiled with -march=i486.)
    > OpenSSL configure somehow decides to build for x86_64 anyway and
    > forces -m64 into CFLAGS, resulting in a gcc error.

    OpenSSL works out the system type from the config script using (among
    other things) the output of uname. These are presumably still consistent
    with a 64 bit system.

    You can pass an alternative configuration target by calling the
    Configure script directly instead of auto detecting.

  2. Re: openssl configure tries to force 64-bit mode in 32-bit chroot.(x86) fails to compile

    On Jan 26, 6:15 pm, r...@openssl.org ("Stephen Henson via RT") wrote:
    > > [eeke...@fastmail.fm - Sat Jan 26 22:21:55 2008]:

    > > I'm running a 32-bit chroot on an x86_64 machine. That is, the kernel
    > > can execute
    > > 64 and 32 bit binaries, but everything has been compiled with -m32
    > > within the chroot. All the installed packages including gcc and
    > > glibc have just been recompiled with -m32 with the compilation done
    > > within the chroot. (They were formerly compiled with -march=i486.)
    > > OpenSSL configure somehow decides to build for x86_64 anyway and
    > > forces -m64 into CFLAGS, resulting in a gcc error.

    > OpenSSL works out the system type from the config script using (among
    > other things) the output of uname. These are presumably still consistent
    > with a 64 bit system.
    >
    > You can pass an alternative configuration target by calling the
    > Configure script directly instead of auto detecting.

    Just ran into this:
    ../Configure -m32 --prefix=/home/android/devkits
    worked
    The issue was the ./config adds both -m32 and -m64 to the compiler
    flags when ./config -m32 is invoked.

    This should be fixed.

  3. Re: [openssl.org #1635] openssl configure tries to force 64-bit mode in 32-bit chroot

    I'm running into a similar issue with OpenSSL.9.8g. I am running on a linux_x86_64 and both ./Configure -m32 and ./config -m32 adds m64 in addition to m32 to the CFLAGS, causing 'make' to fail. I removed m64 switch manually, but then 'make test' fails. Did you run into any 'make test' issues?

    My ./Configure -m32 also didn't work..Could it be because our OpenSSL versions are different? Can you tell me which openSSL version you used?

+ Reply to Thread