You can register both ciphers and digests. For an example,
and easy to read one is the crypto/engine/eng_cryptodev.c
(from the openssl-0.9.8g package), it supports both AES
and 3DES. You shouldn't need to modify OpenSSL's engine
interface at all, just write _your_ engine.

If you're on linux, you might also want to look at
ocf-linux.sourceforge.net ... It provides a Linux cryptodev
interface (ported from the BSDs) and a kernel-level
FreeScale SEC driver. It also provides the necessary
patches for OpenSSL 0.9.8g to support the linux cryptodev.
I don't know how the FreeScale SEC relates to PowerQUICC,
but it might be useful for your efforts.

-Brad