--nextPart2602424.OcMTNgHQQx

On Sunday 06 January 2008, David Schwartz wrote:
> > looks to me like tar+lzma is the way to go, not 7z

> In my quick test, lzma got a 7.6, beating 7z by a negligible margin.
>
> I think it largely comes down to whether any of these are popular enough =

> justify the effort of offering in that format. We've been down this road
> before in the transition from compress to gzip and then from gzip to bzip=

2.

sure, i perfectly understand there's more to it than "just 1 more file, wha=
t's=20
the big deal". please dont take my comments as "you need to get on this!".=
=20
i'm just trying to direct things such that if you do decide to start=20
supporting/transitioning to a new format, it's the right one looking at=20
things long term and such. if there is a new compression standard coming u=
p=20
in the open source world, i believe it's going to be lzma-utils. imo, .lzm=
a=20
is the only thing worth considering at this time. wait a few releases of=20
openssl and you'll get a better feel for how viable lzma is (or isnt).

conversely, i'd put hard cash that 7z will not supplant tar ... after all,=
=20
that is what the comparison actually is. 7z is an archiver (that also does=
=20
compression). tar is an archiver. bzip2/gzip/lzma do compression. tar+lz=
ma=20
ftw .

side note, lzma typically is slower during compression, but faster/leaner=20
during decompression. which is what matters in this scenario -- the packag=
er=20
compresses once while everyone else decompresses many many times.

a few more data points from glancing at wikipedia ... Inno Setup, NSIS, and=
=20
RPM include lzma in the latest releases
=2Dmike