OpenSSL FIPS Object Module v1.2 snapshots - Openssl

This is a discussion on OpenSSL FIPS Object Module v1.2 snapshots - Openssl ; Snapshots from the OpenSSL-fips-0_9_8-stable branch where development for FIPS 140-2 currently takes place are now being posted in the snapshot area, ftp://ftp.openssl.org/snapshot/ . These will have names of the form openssl-0.9.8-fips-test-SNAP-YYYYMMDD.tar.gz . In addition the specific distribution that is currently ...

  1. OpenSSL FIPS Object Module v1.2 snapshots

    Snapshots from the OpenSSL-fips-0_9_8-stable branch where development
    for FIPS 140-2 currently takes place are now being posted in the
    snapshot area, ftp://ftp.openssl.org/snapshot/. These will have names
    of the form openssl-0.9.8-fips-test-SNAP-YYYYMMDD.tar.gz
    .

    In addition the specific distribution that is currently undergoing
    validation testing is available at
    ftp://ftp.openssl.org/snapshot/opens...t-1.2.0.tar.gz.

    If you want to test platform compatibility feel free to test either a
    current snapshot or the submitted distribution. Please note that due to
    the nature of the FIPS 140-2 validation process corrections cannot be
    made to already submitted software, so feedback on the snapshots will
    generally be the most useful.

    Also note that anonymous CVS access over SSH is now supported with the
    command:

    cvs -d anonymous@cvs.openssl.org:/openssl-cvs co \
    -r OpenSSL-fips-0_9_8-stable openssl

    -Steve M.

    --
    Steve Marquess
    Open Source Software Institute

  2. Re: OpenSSL FIPS Object Module v1.2 snapshots

    On Dec 18 2007, 8:45 am, marqu...@oss-institute.org (Steve Marquess)
    wrote:
    > Snapshots from the OpenSSL-fips-0_9_8-stable branch where development
    > for FIPS 140-2 currently takes place are now being posted in the
    > snapshot area,ftp://ftp.openssl.org/snapshot/. These will have names
    > of the form openssl-0.9.8-fips-test-SNAP-YYYYMMDD.tar.gz
    > .
    >
    > In addition the specific distribution that is currently undergoing
    > validation testing is available atftp://ftp.openssl.org/snapshot/openssl-fips-test-1.2.0.tar.gz.
    >
    > If you want to test platform compatibility feel free to test either a
    > current snapshot or the submitted distribution. Please note that due to
    > the nature of the FIPS 140-2 validation process corrections cannot be
    > made to already submitted software, so feedback on the snapshots will
    > generally be the most useful.

    Ok, so I'm a little confused. Does this mean that if we find a
    platform incompatibility in a snapshot that the issue can be addressed
    for 1.2? or since 1.2 has already been submitted for validation that
    problems found in snapshots will be addressed in some future iteration
    (1.3)?