* Ramashish Baranwal wrote on Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 15:06 +0530:
> > The heap size will never be reduced again regardless of the
> > amount of "free()" calls, the memory can however be reused.
> > Therefore, if your application at one point in time needs a
> > lot of heap space the memory consumption shown may be higher.

> I am monitoring the memory usage for the process by using top
> command in Linux.
> The difference is almost an order of magnitude (few hundred MBs
> vs. around 2 GB). Is openssl using some kind of memory caching
> for its ssl handshake which is not getting released when the
> handshake is over?

If I understood correctly Lutz said that the memory usage
displayed by top is not neccesarily the current memory usage but
the highest peak memory usage. It might be the case that only 100
MB of those 2 GB are currently used.=20

I think, having a big peak may not be very surprising when
attempting to create heaps of connections at the same time
(meaning that probably a lot of temporary memory is used
concurrently, maybe some certificate structures for each
connection and so on) in contrast to sequential connections
(where that temporary memory also appears sequentially and can
reuse pages allocated from the system). If I calculated correctly
(2 GB for 4000?) that would be 524 KB per connection, no idea if
this is a reasonable value or too much.
(hope I didn't got it too wrong, its guessed )

oki,

Steffen
=20
About Ingenico Throughout the world businesses rely on Ingenico for =
secure and expedient electronic transaction acceptance. Ingenico =
products leverage proven technology, established standards and =
unparalleled ergonomics to provide optimal reliability, versatility and =
usability. This comprehensive range of products is complemented by a =
global array of services and partnerships, enabling businesses in a =
number of vertical sectors to accept transactions anywhere their =
business takes them.
www.ingenico.com This message may contain confidential and/or privileged =
information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this =
for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action =
based on this message or any information herein. If you have received =
this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply =
e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.