> Double-checking yields the following buried between 0x0013xxxx relocs :
>
> sjv@mlejnas:~$ readelf -r /usr/src/openssl-0.9.8e/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
> [...]
> 0006354c 000ce102 R_386_PC32 00062630 DES_encrypt2
> 0006bd93 000c3e02 R_386_PC32 0006b820 BF_decrypt
> [...]
>
> So it seems there are indeed relocations in the .text section

The problem appears to be Debian specific. According to diff found at
http://packages.qa.debian.org/o/openssl.html they remove -Bsymbolic from
linker command line. This option takes care of relocations in generic
openssl source available from ftp://ftp.openssl.org/source/. If Debian
insists on removing this option, then formally they are responsible for
resolving this relocations:-) I'm ready to listen to reasons why Debian
considers -Bsymbolic inappropriate, but I want to point out that our
goal is to target wide range of OSes, not some particular Linux
distribution. A.