> I don't think -march=pentium4 is going to work on an IA64, and I have my
> doubts about sse3 too.

Yeah, I misread the original post. I still recommend comparing using the
appropriate optimization flags for each compiler. If you're going to compare
them just based on performance, you should allow each compiler to fully
optimize for performance. Depending on what you're really trying to get at,
you may wish to avoid using assembler code as well, especially if you're
comparing on newer CPUs that the assembler code might not really be
optimized for.

DS