Using openssl 0.9.7 (can't upgrade - can't test newer versions)
openssl dgst won't list its options easily, except like this:

openssl dgst -help
unknown option '-help'
options are
-c to output the digest with separating colons
-d to output debug info
-hex output as hex dump
-binary output in binary form
-sign file sign digest using private key in file
-verify file verify a signature using public key in file
-prverify file verify a signature using private key in file
-keyform arg key file format (PEM or ENGINE)
-signature file signature to verify
-binary output in binary form
-engine e use engine e, possibly a hardware device.
-md5 to use the md5 message digest algorithm (default)
-md4 to use the md4 message digest algorithm
-md2 to use the md2 message digest algorithm
-sha1 to use the sha1 message digest algorithm
-sha to use the sha message digest algorithm
-mdc2 to use the mdc2 message digest algorithm
-ripemd160 to use the ripemd160 message digest algorithm

openssl dgst help
help: No such file or directory

Some command respond to a "help" token nicely, most don't
Few (none?) respond nicely to -help token

I hate to base a script on "unknown option " and some activity,
somebody might fix it later.

BTW few (none?) respond nicely to "help" token in interactive mode.

Consistency would be nice.

BTW, I was looking for a way of listing all the hash functions,
and I found openssl list-message-digest-commands in the man
page, which does what I need, but more consistent parsing,
especially reporting on available options, would be a good thing.
(openssl -help has my vote.)

Again if this has been addressed in newer versions it would certainly be
nice to know (can't update however).

Thanks, ==mwh
Michael Helm
ESnet/LBNL