I simply work around it by using gmake instead of the native make on
the relevant platforms.

Truthfully though, I'd like to see OpenSSL use something better than
the current kludge of build scripts, and would be willing to dedicate
time to it... Personally I'd prefer something truly cross-platform like
CMake. It would actually allow a Windows x64 fips build (which is
currently not possible because of the MSYS requirement of the current
build process to generate the fipscanister). Also, it would probably
make porting to other platforms much easier.

-Brad