My mistake -- the patch that was applied was the one to issue an
unexpected message alert on unexpected packets. There is an issue
that I'm seeing in my archives which suggests that 'openssl s_client
-verify 2 -dtls' can assert-crash the client, which I haven't seen any
followup on.

The DTLS code is buggy, and is known not to be production-stable.
Unfortunately, I don't work on it. (I try to be something of a
librarian -- knowing about things, and helping others with
knowledge... but I'm not adept at that, either.)

-Kyle H

On 9/28/06, Jeremy Goddard wrote:
> I tried both openssl-SNAP-20060928.tar.gz and
> openssl-0.9.8-stable-SNAP-20060928.tar.gz. They both exhibit the same
> error. Did I get the wrong file?
>
> -Jeremy
>
> Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> > There was a patch applied recently (within the past week) to address
> > that assertion. Please try the latest 0.9.8 snapshot.
> >
> > -Kyle H
> >
> > On 9/27/06, Jeremy Goddard wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> When attempting to use DTLS with mutual authentication my DTLS server
> >> fails with message:
> >>
> >> d1_both.c(1064): OpenSSL internal error, assertion failed:
> >> s->d1->w_msg_hdr.msg_len + DTLS1_HM_HEADER_LENGTH == (unsigned
> >> int)s->init_num"
> >>
> >> I have noted a few threads referencing this error going back to version
> >> 9.7a. Can anyone advise me if there if there is a fix available for
> >> this?
> >>
> >> My current openssl version is 9.8a
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Jeremy