Hello,

I'm looking into the OpenSSL engine support which was introduced in
OpenSSL version 0.9.6 (or 0.9.7). Is there an official "engine"
specification or HOWTO available? The only document I have found so
far is [1]. As a first start I have looked into the GMP engine
module. If I understand the engine concept correctly I can only use
the following functions and methods within an engine:

- RSA
- DSA
- ECDH
- ECDSA
- DH
- RAND

Can I implement block ciphers (e.g. DES, etc.) in an engine module or
is this not supported (by the API implementation) at the moment.

I'm quite new in this area and apologize if this questions makes no
sense or was already answered on the openssl-dev mailing-list.

[1]: http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/engine.html

Regards,
Heiko