In message <20060713113922.GA25258@relay.adelton.com> on Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:39:22 +0200, Jan Pazdziora said:

jpr-ossl> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 12:32:50PM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
jpr-ossl> > In message <20060713091559.GD24844@relay.adelton.com> on Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:15:59 +0200, Jan Pazdziora said:
jpr-ossl> >
jpr-ossl> > jpr-ossl> The primary concern is a change in API/ABI, namely removal of three
jpr-ossl> > jpr-ossl> functions: BIO_get_host_ip, BIO_get_port, and BIO_gethostbyname. They
jpr-ossl> > jpr-ossl> are not documented in doc/crypto/BIO_s_connect.pod and the change in
jpr-ossl> > jpr-ossl> logic, using getaddrinfo which can return multiple results, makes them
jpr-ossl> > jpr-ossl> not needed by the other BIO_* functions.
jpr-ossl> >
jpr-ossl> > Can you explain why you need to remove those functions?
jpr-ossl>
jpr-ossl> I do not _need_ to remove them. They _could_ be removed, as they
jpr-ossl> are no longer needed by other BIO_* functions. And since they are not
jpr-ossl> documented, noone else except the BIO_* functions should know about
jpr-ossl> them and use them.

Note that they are documented by being declared in bio.h. The OpenSSL
documentation in form of .pod files isn't complete yet.

The best thing to do with functions that you want removed is to wrap
them in a #ifndef OPENSSL_NO_DEPRECATED clause. If you look, you will
see that we've already done that with some functions.

jpr-ossl> That's why I asked about the opinion about them -- are they
jpr-ossl> needed, are they wanted, what exactly whould they do ... ?

The relevant question is "are they used". If we're doing something
that forces others to rewrite or tweak their applications, we need to
give them ample warning if we can.

Cheers,
Richard

-----