On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 12:32:50PM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <20060713091559.GD24844@relay.adelton.com> on Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:15:59 +0200, Jan Pazdziora said:
>
> jpr-ossl> The primary concern is a change in API/ABI, namely removal of three
> jpr-ossl> functions: BIO_get_host_ip, BIO_get_port, and BIO_gethostbyname. They
> jpr-ossl> are not documented in doc/crypto/BIO_s_connect.pod and the change in
> jpr-ossl> logic, using getaddrinfo which can return multiple results, makes them
> jpr-ossl> not needed by the other BIO_* functions.
>
> Can you explain why you need to remove those functions?

I do not _need_ to remove them. They _could_ be removed, as they
are no longer needed by other BIO_* functions. And since they are not
documented, noone else except the BIO_* functions should know about
them and use them.

If they are to stay in the package as a part of public and supported
interface, it would be best to document them properly and upgrade them
to the IPv6 style as well.

It's just that if the function only can return one IP address /
addressort pair, it might not be the one you want. With IPv6, the
logic of resolving host name and creating sockets and using them is
a bit more complex because you might get multiple sockaddrs, for
various address families.

That's why I asked about the opinion about them -- are they needed,
are they wanted, what exactly whould they do ... ?

--
Jan Pazdziora