Re: [openssl.org #1281] Solaris9: 'make test' failure in evp_test - Openssl

This is a discussion on Re: [openssl.org #1281] Solaris9: 'make test' failure in evp_test - Openssl ; Kyle Hamilton wrote: > Have you filed a bug with Sun about this issue? No, because the specific loop that failed hasn't been identified, so it's difficult to give them a precise reproduction case. Moreso, we need to patch this ...

  1. Re: [openssl.org #1281] Solaris9: 'make test' failure in evp_test

    Kyle Hamilton wrote:
    > Have you filed a bug with Sun about this issue?

    No, because the specific loop that failed hasn't been identified, so it's
    difficult to give them a precise reproduction case.

    Moreso, we need to patch this given the large number of Solaris cc compilers
    deployed. Loop-data optimizations are a historical sore point with solaris
    compilers, appearing to have many artificats from overly agressive optimization.
    Research "-xdepend" bugs in the solaris CC release notes, any flavor from the
    SunStudio 8 through 11.

    Bill

    > On 2/27/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
    >
    >>Glad this licked it [yes I was that guest, forgot to sign my note, sorry.]
    >>
    >>One thing about -xdepend is that Solaris cc 5.x is unrolling one of our
    >>loops incorrectly. If someone wants to simplify, try reducing the complex
    >>for (; and while () loops to avoid (;;x++, y++) or (;x[c++] +=x sorts
    >>of grammers which have apparently confounded the optimizer.
    >>
    >>Bill
    >>
    >>nospam4me@snafu.de via RT wrote:

    >>>excellent!
    >>>now it works fine
    >>>

    >>>thanks a lot !
    >>>

    >>>best regards,
    >>>
    >>> Steffen
    >>>

    >>>--
    >>>Steffen Unger

  2. Re: Solaris9: 'make test' failure in evp_test

    Just following up - what worked with openssl-0.9.8a on my Sun Sparc
    v440 (UltraSPARC IIIi processors) and solaris 10 (3/05):

    As suggested, I modified ./Configure so that the solaris-sparcv9-cc
    line looks as such:

    "solaris-sparcv9-cc","cc:-xtarget=ultra -xarch=v8plus -fast -xstrconst
    -xdepend=no -Xa -DB_ENDIAN -DBN_DIV2W::-D_REENTRANT:ULTRASPARC:-lsocket
    -lnsl -ldl:BN_LLONG RC4_CHAR RC4_CHUNK_LL DES_PTR DES_RISC1 DES_UNROLL
    BF_PTR::sparcv8plus.o:des_enc-sparc.o
    fcrypt_b.o:::md5-sparcv8plus.o::::::dlfcn:solaris-shared:-KPIC:-G -dy
    -z text:.so.\$(SHLIB_MAJOR).\$(SHLIB_MINOR)",

    make test works with this.

+ Reply to Thread