On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Matthias Mohr wrote:

> I tried to compile OpenSSL v0.9.8 inside Windows with
> MingW environment inside MingW's MSYS environment
> (this is a small unix like environment like cygwin, but much
> smaller and native to windows).
>
> So I did it the usual Unix way:
>
> ./Configure no-engine mingw
> make PERL=$(which perl) links depend all
>
> (I needed to add the PERL setting because it seems to need
> a "make links" and the link making did not work without it).
>
> After a while it stops with this:

> gcc -I. -I.. -I../include -DOPENSSL_THREADS -DDSO_WIN32 -DPERL=C:/Programme/_Entwicklung/ActivePerl/bin/perl.exe -mno-cygwin -DL_EN
> DIAN -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -march=i486 -Wall -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x333 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_PART_WORDS -DOPENSSL_IA32_SSE2 -DSHA1_ASM -DMD
> 5_ASM -DRMD160_ASM -DAES_ASM -c -o cversion.o cversion.c
> In file included from cversion.c:62:
> buildinf.h:6:4: #error "Windows builds (PLATFORM=mingw) use mk1mf.pl-created Makefiles"
> make[1]: *** [cversion.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/Prog/Projekt/openssl-0.9.8/crypto'
> make: *** [build_crypto] Error 1

I see how to get around this, but I am not sure why it is built into
Configure this way. This occurs because you are using ActivePerl rather
than the Cygwin perl. See line 910 in Configure:
$IsMK1MF=1 if ($target eq "mingw" && ^O ne "cygwin");

What this does, if your version of perl was not built on cygwin, is to
make buildinf.h into the version that you have, instead of the one
generated by crypto/Makefile. If you either use cygwin perl, or delete
the above line from Configure, you should be able to proceed with your
attempt to compile OpenSSL. I am not sure I see when you would be using
the Configure script with mingw and still want to do a MK1MF style
build.
Doug
--
Doug Kaufman