In message <20050218225025.59314.qmail@web52006.mail.yahoo.com> on Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:50:25 -0800 (PST), Prashant Kumar said:

pkix2005> Is it possible to use the engine implementation with
pkix2005> statically linking the harware accelerator library with the
pkix2005> openssl instead of dynamic linking.
pkix2005>
pkix2005> All the posts I have read so far suggest that I should have
pkix2005> a ".so" and engine implementation will load it at run time.

That's because that's the prefered way. If you look at the built-in
engines, though, you will see that they have code for non-dynamic
situations. In that case, the engine needs to define a loading
function (ENGINE_load_foo()) which needs to be called instead of doing
whatever you do to load the engine dynamically.

I haven't done this for a few years, so I'm a bit rusty myself...

Cheers,
Richard

-----

Richard Levitte richard@levitte.org