.ssh/known_host file format - openssh

This is a discussion on .ssh/known_host file format - openssh ; J.Bakshi wrote: > Dear list, > > I have again come to you to discuss one more thing about ssh server in debian. > The ssh server is running as I have reported earlie rwith "Listenaddress" > option. But when ...

  1. Re: .ssh/known_host file format

    J.Bakshi wrote:
    > Dear list,
    >
    > I have again come to you to discuss one more thing about ssh server in debian.
    > The ssh server is running as I have reported earlie rwith "Listenaddress"
    > option. But when I check the .ssh/known_host file I have become very
    > surprised. In suse the file listed the hosts with IP address; but here in
    > debian the file listed the hosts in some encrypted form I think. For an
    > example one of the host appear as
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    > 1|IJgX5SzPVBU+0HMca+9NUwJ7dbs=|L7VrUguJZVpsie0l8gF mWb0D7dw= ssh-rsa
    > AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAIEA4oeNBdcZX/5/ir3GJo/466qO5gfacLX632YiucgBX2Z4XcT9FhofPGVF1BTXTp7iS9pwn EeabmilSBsNeUN8BniEbDVi4LpSjggSJP08dBZSm3kqmKT6GVl fRshUc+DaXfCJyp3VhNdV0Z3WiMDeUdfMt71r0drNFZ+s+rFZv iM=
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > Could any one suggest how can I change this to have IP based known_host file ?
    >
    > Thanks

    These are hashed hosts.

    Check out the HashKnownHosts directive in ssh_config(5).

    Andri

  2. .ssh/known_host file format

[...]

  3. Re: .ssh/known_host file format

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, J.Bakshi wrote:

    >surprised. In suse the file listed the hosts with IP address; but here in
    >debian the file listed the hosts in some encrypted form I think. For an

    see HashKnownHosts

    >1|IJgX5SzPVBU+0HMca+9NUwJ7dbs=|L7VrUguJZVpsie0l8gF mWb0D7dw= ssh-rsa
    >AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAIEA4oeNBdcZX/5/ir3GJo/466qO5gfacLX632YiucgBX2Z4XcT9FhofPGVF1BTXTp7iS9pwn EeabmilSBsNeUN8BniEbDVi4LpSjggSJP08dBZSm3kqmKT6GVl fRshUc+DaXfCJyp3VhNdV0Z3WiMDeUdfMt71r0drNFZ+s+rFZv iM=
    >
    >Could any one suggest how can I change this to have IP based known_host file ?

    you can't, that's the idea of this feature. J.

    --
    Jan Pechanec

  4. Re: .ssh/known_host file format

    On Saturday 20 Sep 2008 2:29:39 am Andri Möll wrote:
    > J.Bakshi wrote:
    > > Dear list,
    > >
    > > I have again come to you to discuss one more thing about ssh server in
    > > debian. The ssh server is running as I have reported earlie rwith
    > > "Listenaddress" option. But when I check the .ssh/known_host file I have
    > > become very surprised. In suse the file listed the hosts with IP address;
    > > but here in debian the file listed the hosts in some encrypted form I
    > > think. For an example one of the host appear as
    > >
    > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    > > 1|IJgX5SzPVBU+0HMca+9NUwJ7dbs=|L7VrUguJZVpsie0l8gF mWb0D7dw= ssh-rsa
    > > AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAIEA4oeNBdcZX/5/ir3GJo/466qO5gfacLX632YiucgBX2Z4X
    > >cT9FhofPGVF1BTXTp7iS9pwnEeabmilSBsNeUN8BniEbDVi4Lp SjggSJP08dBZSm3kqmKT6GVl
    > >fRshUc+DaXfCJyp3VhNdV0Z3WiMDeUdfMt71r0drNFZ+s+rFZv iM= ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > >
    > > Could any one suggest how can I change this to have IP based known_host
    > > file ?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > These are hashed hosts.
    >
    > Check out the HashKnownHosts directive in ssh_config(5).

    Many thanks to all of you,
    I commented the line ****HashKnownHosts yes**** and now I get the
    desired result. Thanks to all of you to point out this.
    With best regards.

    > Andri

  5. Re: .ssh/known_host file format

+ Reply to Thread