Debian SSH problem - openssh

This is a discussion on Debian SSH problem - openssh ; You should look your /etc/host.deny it probably have the entry "ALL:ALL" 2008/9/17 J.Bakshi > > Dear list, > > I am managing 3 remote server all based on suse. 2 based on suse 10.2 and the > one is based ...

  1. Re: Debian SSH problem

    You should look your /etc/host.deny it probably have the entry "ALL:ALL"

    2008/9/17 J.Bakshi

    > Dear list,
    >
    > I am managing 3 remote server all based on suse. 2 based on suse 10.2 and the
    > one is based on suse 11.0. SSH are running on those server with out any
    > problem. I have recently installed debian lenny in my home server. The
    > openssh version of lenny is
    >
    > OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-2, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
    >
    > Now if I try to connect that home server I am getting as below
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    > joy@debian:~$ ssh shiva.selfip.org -v
    > OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-2, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
    > debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    > debug1: Applying options for *
    > debug1: Connecting to shiva.selfip.org [203.171.240.55] port 22.
    > debug1: Connection established.
    > debug1: identity file /home/joy/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
    > debug1: identity file /home/joy/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > I have never seen such thing in Suse. Could any one kindly suggest me the
    > reason behind it and how to solve this ?
    >
    > Many Thanks

  2. RE: Debian SSH problem

    On Thursday 18 Sep 2008 12:36:03 am you wrote:
> [...]

    both the files are empty.

    Only other thing I could suggest then is to get into the systems you are trying to ssh into and have a look at the log files. Those should tell you why you are being blocked.

  3. Re: Debian SSH problem

    Hi,

    Check to make sure your ssh keys are not in the black-list on your suse box.

    You may need to update your ssh version and regenerate your sshd_keys(on your suse boxes that is).

    Also check your /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and make sure you are only allowing protocol version 2, coz debian doesn't use version 1 anymore.

    But as suggested, check your /var/log/secure file on your suse box, this should have failure entries explaining why.

    --

    Thanks

    Paul Dean.

    QOTD
    "Life is not WHAT you make it, it's WHO you have in it..."

    QOTD:
    Q: How many Harvard MBA's does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: Just one. He grasps it firmly and the universe revolves around him.

    --

    Thanks

    Paul Dean.

    QOTD
    "Life is not WHAT you make it, it's WHO you have in it..."

    QOTD:
    Be different: conform.

  4. Debian SSH problem

[...]

  5. Re: Debian SSH problem

    On Thursday 18 Sep 2008 12:25:17 am Omar Salvador Alcalá Ruiz wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > You should check if the host exist in the hosts.allow file (commonly under
    > /etc). If not add it. It should work after that.

    Just done it but no success :-( hosts.deny is also empty so it can't be the
    culprit. Openssh is running without any problem with out touching hosts.allow
    debian may have some different setting to enable sshd but I hv no idea.

    > Tell me if it works. Regards

  6. Re: Debian SSH problem

    On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 06:09:26AM +0530, J.Bakshi wrote:
    > On Thursday 18 Sep 2008 12:25:17 am Omar Salvador Alcalá Ruiz wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > You should check if the host exist in the hosts.allow file (commonly under
    > > /etc). If not add it. It should work after that.

    > Just done it but no success :-( hosts.deny is also empty so it can't be the
    > culprit. Openssh is running without any problem with out touching hosts.allow
    > debian may have some different setting to enable sshd but I hv no idea.

    let us see the '-vvv' passed to ssh!

    I have a bunch of machines running debian[1]. And i get this error only
    when some problem to the rootfs ocurred, such as fs corruption or HD fail
    and / were umounted.

    [1]http://yoda.c3sl.ufpr.br/SDI/sumario.html

    --
    Bruno Ribas - ribas@c3sl.ufpr.br
    http://web.inf.ufpr.br/ribas

  7. Re: Debian SSH problem

    It doesn't look like Iptables since it shows a connection is
    established then dropped. tcp_wrappers would do that, but if that's
    not it, I'd look at the server in verbose as well. perhaps run a debug
    version on port 42 or whatever and watch it. Maybe there's a minimal
    authenticaiton method list. Maybe PasswordAuthentication is not
    enabled.. who knows. Try it - you may see what is.I'm assuming you've
    peeked at your syslogs for sshd errors?

    Try something like:

    shiva.selfip% sshd -ddd -p 42

    Then:

    ssh -vvv -p 42 shiva.selfip.org

    On Sep 17, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Bruno Cesar Ribas wrote:

    > On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 06:09:26AM +0530, J.Bakshi wrote:
    >> On Thursday 18 Sep 2008 12:25:17 am Omar Salvador Alcalá Ruiz wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> You should check if the host exist in the hosts.allow file
    >>> (commonly under
    >>> /etc). If not add it. It should work after that.

    >> Just done it but no success :-( hosts.deny is also empty so it
    >> can't be the
    >> culprit. Openssh is running without any problem with out touching
    >> hosts.allow
    >> debian may have some different setting to enable sshd but I hv no
    >> idea.

    > let us see the '-vvv' passed to ssh!
    >
    > I have a bunch of machines running debian[1]. And i get this error
    > only
    > when some problem to the rootfs ocurred, such as fs corruption or HD
    > fail
    > and / were umounted.
    >
    > [1]http://yoda.c3sl.ufpr.br/SDI/sumario.html
    >

    >>> Tell me if it works. Regards

  8. Re: Debian SSH problem

    On Thursday 18 Sep 2008 6:35:15 am Bruno Cesar Ribas wrote:
    > On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 06:09:26AM +0530, J.Bakshi wrote:
    > > On Thursday 18 Sep 2008 12:25:17 am Omar Salvador Alcalá Ruiz wrote:
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > You should check if the host exist in the hosts.allow file (commonly
    > > > under /etc). If not add it. It should work after that.

    > > Just done it but no success :-( hosts.deny is also empty so it can't be
    > > the culprit. Openssh is running without any problem with out touching
    > > hosts.allow debian may have some different setting to enable sshd but I
    > > hv no idea.

    > let us see the '-vvv' passed to ssh!

    Thanks to everyone who suggest me to fix the Problem.
    I have fixed it in a diffeernt way . I have added one line in the sshd_conf
    file

    ListenAddress < local IP of the lan card >

    And now I can connect with ssh.

    Thanks to all of you.

    > I have a bunch of machines running debian[1]. And i get this error only
    > when some problem to the rootfs ocurred, such as fs corruption or HD fail
    > and / were umounted.
    >
    > [1]http://yoda.c3sl.ufpr.br/SDI/sumario.html
    >
    > > > Tell me if it works. Regards

  9. Re: Debian SSH problem

    Wow, here we all are thinking deeply about all the things that could be wrong, but no-one simply suggested to check if sshd was listening, almost likenot checking if the power is plugged in when your PC is not working.... :-)

    Anyways good to see you got it working.

    --

    Thanks

    Paul Dean.

    QOTD
    "Life is not WHAT you make it, it's WHO you have in it..."

    QOTD:
    You have a strong desire for a home and your family interests come first.

    --

    Thanks

    Paul Dean.

    QOTD
    "Life is not WHAT you make it, it's WHO you have in it..."

    QOTD:
    Give him an evasive answer.

+ Reply to Thread