Performance of scp with OpenSSH - 5.1p1 - openssh

This is a discussion on Performance of scp with OpenSSH - 5.1p1 - openssh ; Hello All, As the release notes of SSH-4.7 version says that a new MAC algorithm (UMAC-64 - RFC4418) was introduced with OpenSSH-4.7 which gives much better performance, I was tempted to check out the enhanced speed provided with new version. ...

  1. Performance of scp with OpenSSH - 5.1p1

    Hello All,
    As the release notes of SSH-4.7 version says that a new MAC algorithm
    (UMAC-64 - RFC4418) was introduced with OpenSSH-4.7 which gives much
    better performance, I was tempted to check out the enhanced speed
    provided with new version. So I downloaded OpenSSH-5.1p1 and build it on
    Solaris 10 with Sun Compiler CC.

    My test setup:-
    1. Two Sunfire 440 with 2 CPU (1281 MHz) and 4GB RAM.
    2. Network interface supports 1 Gbit/s (duplex)

    I tried transferring 1GB file between Node A and Node B connected using
    1GB interface using SCP. Node A can connect to Node B without password
    using public key authentication.

    With OpenSSH-5.1p1:-
    ------------------------
    Protocol Time taken rate MB/s
    Std. scp 53.7 19.3
    scp -c arcfour 40.1 26.3
    scp -c blowfish 55.5 18.6
    scp -C 123.6 16.3

    With OpenSSH-4.5p1:-
    -------------------------
    Protocol Time taken rate MB/s
    Std. scp 59.9 17.9
    scp -c arcfour 45 22.3
    scp -c blowfish 59.6 17.1
    scp -C 131 14.1

    I do not see any higher throughput (20%) with the 5.1p1 (with UMAC-64)
    than 4.5p1. The above results clearly says it is not increasing the
    performance by 20%. Did I something here?.
    Also does UMAC-64 have a impact on scp also or my understanding is
    wrong?.

    Thanks inadvance
    Senthil Prabu.S

    --
    Senthil Prabu.S

  2. Re: Performance of scp with OpenSSH - 5.1p1

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, S, Senthilprabu (NSN - IN/Bangalore) wrote:

    > I do not see any higher throughput (20%) with the 5.1p1 (with UMAC-64)
    > than 4.5p1. The above results clearly says it is not increasing the
    > performance by 20%. Did I something here?.

    Did you enable UMAC 64?

    scp -oCiphers=arcfour256 -oMACs=umac-64@openssh.com ...

    I measured a 20% performance improvement on my system on
    localhost->localhost transfers.

    BTW, it is good that your results show a 10% improvement *without* the
    use of UMAC 64.

    -d

  3. RE: Performance of scp with OpenSSH - 5.1p1

    Hello Damien,

    Thanks a lot for the reply!!!

    > Did you enable UMAC 64?

    I did not do any specific setting wrt UMAC-64 explicitly when I used the
    scp command. But do read on net that some kind of configuration can be
    done in ssh/sshd config file. Is it true?

    > scp -oCiphers=arcfour256 -oMACs=umac-64@openssh.com ...

    U mean the scp command usage should be like "scp -oCiphers=arcfour256
    -oMACs=umac-64@openssh.com user@server:$PATH_IN_REMOTE

    --
    Senthil Prabu.S

  4. RE: Performance of scp with OpenSSH - 5.1p1

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, S, Senthilprabu (NSN - IN/Bangalore) wrote:

    > Hello Damien,
    >
    > Thanks a lot for the reply!!!
    >
    > > Did you enable UMAC 64?

    > I did not do any specific setting wrt UMAC-64 explicitly when I used the
    > scp command. But do read on net that some kind of configuration can be
    > done in ssh/sshd config file. Is it true?

    MAC algorithms, like ciphers, are selected at runtime. The following
    command is an example, but there is no substitute for reading the
    documentation: