Relocating ~/.ssh? - openssh

This is a discussion on Relocating ~/.ssh? - openssh ; Is it possible to change where SSH looks for the .ssh directory? My home directory is currently on a file server 10,000 miles (about 300ms ping) away from me, and any operation involving the files in it takes at least ...

  1. Relocating ~/.ssh?

    Is it possible to change where SSH looks for the .ssh directory? My
    home directory is currently on a file server 10,000 miles (about 300ms
    ping) away from me, and any operation involving the files in it takes
    at least ten times longer than it normally does.

    If I read the man pages correctly, I can use IdentityFile and
    UserKnownHostsFile to relocate my keys and and known_hosts, but that
    means ssh still has to read ~/.ssh/config. I could alias ssh to ssh -i
    .... -o UserKnownHostsFile=..., but that will only work for outgoing
    connections--I also want my authorized_keys for incoming connections
    moved.

    I do not currently have the ability to modify /etc/ssh/*config (or
    anything else in /etc), but that may change, so solutions not
    requiring root are preferable, but root-only is welcome too if it's
    the only way.

    (I should note that I tried the most obvious solution, symlinking
    ..ssh, but it didn't work, presumably for security reasons.)
    --
    Aaron Davies
    aaron.davies@gmail.com

  2. Re: Relocating ~/.ssh?

    You have to modify the /etc/ssh/*config files and restart sshd.

    If an ssh client were able to tell the ssh server where to read the config, that
    would be a security breach.

    --
    And, did Galoka think the Ulus were too ugly to save?
    -Centauri

+ Reply to Thread