Re: EOL in stderr of ssh - Linux - openssh

This is a discussion on Re: EOL in stderr of ssh - Linux - openssh ; Hi, Bob wrote: > Stanislaw Kaminski wrote: >> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that Linux' EOL is 0x0A. >> Imagine my surprise when I saw that all messages that are being output >> on to the ...

  1. Re: EOL in stderr of ssh - Linux

    Hi,

    Bob wrote:
    > Stanislaw Kaminski wrote:
    >> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that Linux' EOL is 0x0A.
    >> Imagine my surprise when I saw that all messages that are being output
    >> on to the stderr (on any Linux I've tested - Fedora and Ubuntu) are
    >> terminated with 0x0D, 0x0A.

    > What are your tty settings? What is the output of this command?
    >
    > stty -a
    >
    > What is the output of this command?
    >
    > echo ABC | od -tx1
    >
    >Bob

    $ stty -aspeed 38400 baud; rows 44; columns 179; line = 0;
    intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = ;
    eol2 = ; swtch = ; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z;
    rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V;
    flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
    -parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
    -ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl
    -ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel iutf8
    opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
    isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop
    -echoprt echoctl echoke

    $ echo ABC | od -tx1
    0000000 41 42 43 0a
    0000004

    I don't want to post this two times, so I'd like you to read my reply
    to Bill's post to see where I see 0x0A 0x0D.

    regards,
    Stanislaw

  2. Re: EOL in stderr of ssh - Linux

    Stanislaw Kaminski wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    > > What are your tty settings? What is the output of this command?
    > > stty -a

    > $ stty -aspeed 38400 baud; rows 44; columns 179; line = 0;
    > intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = ;
    > eol2 = ; swtch = ; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z;
    > rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V;
    > flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
    > -parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
    > -ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl
    > -ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel iutf8
    > opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
    > isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop
    > -echoprt echoctl echoke

    I was looking specifically at the output post processing settings
    (opost) and it looks normal to me. In particular onlcr says to
    translate newlines to carriage return-newline pairs when processing
    output to the terminal. It is set normally.

    However this was probably a silly question because this governs output
    to the terminal and not I/O through to a pipe. Therefore this really
    wouldn't have anything to do with the characters actually output when
    they are directed into a pipe. Sorry for the distraction.

    > > What is the output of this command?
    > >
    > > echo ABC | od -tx1

    > $ echo ABC | od -tx1
    > 0000000 41 42 43 0a
    > 0000004

    Again, this looks normal to me. But again, the question was probably
    just a distraction. Oh well.

    Bob