Re: OpenSSH 5.1: call for testing - openssh

This is a discussion on Re: OpenSSH 5.1: call for testing - openssh ; Hi, On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 09:30:55AM +1000, Damien Miller wrote: > OpenSSH 5.1 is almost ready for release, so we would appreciate testing > on as many platforms and systems as possible. This release is one of > ...

  1. Re: OpenSSH 5.1: call for testing

    Hi,

    On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 09:30:55AM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
    > OpenSSH 5.1 is almost ready for release, so we would appreciate testing
    > on as many platforms and systems as possible. This release is one of
    > the biggest in recent years, with two hackathons' worth of improvements
    > and fixes for some of our most recalcitrant bugs.

    NetBSD 3.1 on Sparc64, CVS snapshot from "earlier today", has some
    funnies in the test suite.

    This test was run as non-root, but root makes no difference, the errors
    are the same.

    Here's the output of "make test" from the point where the errors start:

    (cd openbsd-compat && make)
    run test forwarding.sh ...
    ok local and remote forwarding
    run test multiplex.sh ...
    test connection multiplexing: envpass
    mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    muxclient: send fds failed
    Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname otherhost: No address associated with hostname
    environment not found
    test connection multiplexing: transfer
    mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    muxclient: send fds failed
    Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname otherhost: No address associated with hostname
    cmp: EOF on /home/gert/src/openssh_cvs/regress/ls.copy
    ssh -Sctl: corrupted copy of /bin/ls
    mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    muxclient: send fds failed
    Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname otherhost: No address associated with hostname
    cmp: EOF on /home/gert/src/openssh_cvs/regress/ls.copy
    ssh -S ctl: corrupted copy of /bin/ls
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    sftp: failed copy /bin/ls
    cmp: /home/gert/src/openssh_cvs/regress/ls.copy: No such file or directory
    sftp: corrupted copy of /bin/ls
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    scp: failed copy /bin/ls
    cmp: /home/gert/src/openssh_cvs/regress/ls.copy: No such file or directory
    scp: corrupted copy of /bin/ls
    test connection multiplexing: status 0
    mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    muxclient: send fds failed
    Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname otherhost: No address associated with hostname
    exit code mismatch for protocol : 255 != 0
    mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    muxclient: send fds failed
    Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname otherhost: No address associated with hostname
    exit code (with sleep) mismatch for protocol : 255 != 0
    test connection multiplexing: status 1
    mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    muxclient: send fds failed
    Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname otherhost: No address associated with hostname
    exit code mismatch for protocol : 255 != 1
    mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    muxclient: send fds failed
    Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname otherhost: No address associated with hostname
    exit code (with sleep) mismatch for protocol : 255 != 1
    test connection multiplexing: status 4
    mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    muxclient: send fds failed
    Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname otherhost: No address associated with hostname
    exit code mismatch for protocol : 255 != 4
    mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    muxclient: send fds failed
    Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname otherhost: No address associated with hostname
    exit code (with sleep) mismatch for protocol : 255 != 4
    test connection multiplexing: status 5
    mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    muxclient: send fds failed
    Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname otherhost: No address associated with hostname
    exit code mismatch for protocol : 255 != 5
    mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    muxclient: send fds failed
    Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname otherhost: No address associated with hostname
    exit code (with sleep) mismatch for protocol : 255 != 5
    test connection multiplexing: status 44
    mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    muxclient: send fds failed
    Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname otherhost: No address associated with hostname
    exit code mismatch for protocol : 255 != 44
    mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    muxclient: send fds failed
    Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname otherhost: No address associated with hostname
    exit code (with sleep) mismatch for protocol : 255 != 44
    Master running (pid=16839)
    Exit request sent.
    failed connection multiplexing
    *** Error code 1

    Stop.
    make: stopped in /home/gert/src/openssh_cvs/regress
    *** Error code 1

    Stop.
    make: stopped in /home/gert/src/openssh_cvs

    gert

    //www.muc.de/~gert/
    Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
    fax: +49-89-35655025 gert@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de

  2. Re: OpenSSH 5.1: call for testing

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Gert Doering wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 09:30:55AM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
    > > OpenSSH 5.1 is almost ready for release, so we would appreciate testing
    > > on as many platforms and systems as possible. This release is one of
    > > the biggest in recent years, with two hackathons' worth of improvements
    > > and fixes for some of our most recalcitrant bugs.

    > NetBSD 3.1 on Sparc64, CVS snapshot from "earlier today", has some
    > funnies in the test suite.
    >
    > This test was run as non-root, but root makes no difference, the errors
    > are the same.
    >
    > Here's the output of "make test" from the point where the errors start:
    >
    > (cd openbsd-compat && make)
    > run test forwarding.sh ...
    > ok local and remote forwarding
    > run test multiplex.sh ...
    > test connection multiplexing: envpass
    > mm_send_fd: sendmsg(0): Invalid argument
    > muxclient: send fds failed
    > Falling back to non-multiplexed connection
    > mm_receive_fd: recvmsg: expected received 1 got 0
    > muxserver_accept_control: failed to receive fd 0 from slave

    OpenBSD suffered from a similar problem a while back, it turned out to be
    a kernel bug related to CMSG alignment:

    http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...1=1.37&r2=1.38
    http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...1=1.40&r2=1.41

    Short story: OpenSSH's use of the CMSG_* macros used to incorrect, but
    fixing it uncovered this kernel bug.

    -d

  3. Re: OpenSSH 5.1: call for testing

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Gert Doering wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 08:37:55AM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
    > > > NetBSD 3.1 on Sparc64, CVS snapshot from "earlier today", has some
    > > > funnies in the test suite.

    > [..]
    > >
    > > OpenBSD suffered from a similar problem a while back, it turned out to be
    > > a kernel bug related to CMSG alignment:
    > >
    > > http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...1=1.37&r2=1.38
    > > http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...1=1.40&r2=1.41
    > >
    > > Short story: OpenSSH's use of the CMSG_* macros used to incorrect, but
    > > fixing it uncovered this kernel bug.

    > Hmmm. OpenBSD's change log also mentions Sparc64 - this seems to be a
    > good platform for uncovering bugs...

    Big endian and strict alignment

    > Is the discussion preceding this OpenBSD kernel change online
    > somewhere? I'd like to forward this to the NetBSD kernel list, but
    > without a bit more background, I can't really explain what's wrong.

    I think most of the discussion happened in person, or at least not by
    email. The comments added in the first diff explain it a bit, but I
    think the bulk of the problems occur when using the CMSG macros to pack
    multiple messages under one msghdr - our previous use was causing the
    alignment to be slightly wrong which made robust recovery of subsequent
    messages impossible.

    -d